icon

DIY Sunroof

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Aruman for the link of the sunroof car.  I like his skull flame paint job.DIY Sunroof - Page 2 -- posted image.

Here I was inside the shop today talking about this forum with my dad of the discussions with many members here.  He said lets put a sunroof in my mom's 1949 Ford Panel.  I just happened to have an extra electric sunroof set cut from an early 90s Lincoln Town Car that was totaled.  We are going to install it next monday after hours I guess.  Just thought maybe someone could use an extra idea and have the luxury.  So, heres the luxury:  Go to salvage and pilfer a 90's Lincoln/Caddy/Mercury/or whatever...electric sunroof.  Cut the the sunroof out of the roof but take enough metal, something like at least 8 inches of excess around it while not forgetting that some of those electric sunroofs slide back into the roof, not out of the roof.  So, if your roof in the convicted recipient vehicle is large enough, just cut a hole to accommodate.  Install, weld it, body work, finish the paint, wire the provided or custom switches.....BAM!!!!!!, you got a luxury electric sunroof with class.  AND, it dont cost a freakin rediculous $400+ just for a pop-up that Ive heard quoted lately for mini-trucks.  Ok, gettin late I guess, 4 year old daughter standing here telling me "Its Bed-time!!!"  Guess we all have bosses one way or the other....

Katchyalaterdudes........

JD

Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
you welcome.
Shaking The Neighborhood
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well looks like this turned out to be a good post with lots of replies. Tell me, I don't know much about tires, but along with the sunroof I wanted two other things to be done. I don't necessarily want new rims, but definitely new tires. What would be some good tires for off-road, dirt, rocks, etc; but could still handle on the highway and city streets. Second, I want to install an air ride system to raise the ride level, provide clearance for the new tires, and compensate for bumpiness of the new tires. (Besides, air ride is always cool!) Is there an alternative? Any comments are appreciated as always.
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
evol E 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
I install sunroofs for a living and I've done alot of libertys. 1. factory sunroofs are not something you want to chop in to your car. 2. The ribs on the roof of the liberty are going to cause a problem if you don't know what your doing . Well the whole job is gonna be a bitch if you don't know what your doing. I have been doing this for 5 years and all I'm saying is let a pro shop do it. Or if your feelin froggish jump right in and post some pictures cause I'd love to see it.... Good luck.  http://autosunroof.com/ 
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Evol E, thanks for your link, its bookmarked now.  I wasnt exactly taking in account for the ribs in the roof.  That doesnt seem as if its going to make the job impossible though.  From a fabricator's point of view, I still know what I would do MINI....I would actually rob a smooth roof from another vehicle, weld it in, finish out the bodywork, install the sunroof, blah, blah, blah....  That is if I had a Jeep Liberty and wanted a sunroof at all costs.  But, sounds like your the one thats going to have to weigh this one out with the pros and cons.  Im a radical minded individual, so I think that is an easy job.  Speaking of easy.  If I were to have interest in the electric sunroof from a Lincoln or such, I would rob the WHOLE roof of the Lincoln.  But, if you like your idea to have a giant hole in the roof, stay with it.  Dont give up, there is a way....keep in mind what Evol said though.  Sounds like some of his comments should be heard.  .............anyone else?.........

mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, it'll deff need some welding and bracing. Yeah the ribs will be a pain but I figure I could cut them out weld in flat pieces. This isn't going to be something I do any time soon. I want to get all the information in first, consider it, get all the materials, then hop on it.
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
evol E 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
yes like torquehead said you can reskin the whole roof if that's something you want to do. Hell if you have the time and money there are a tone of ways to do it. I was just giving you a heads up before you start something. I just hate seeing people get in over their heads. And if you have a lot of money you can fly me to your place and I'll help. Cause I also have wild dreams of doing crazy things to cars. Good luck and plan plan plan.  
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

.....I still recommend the machette!  Ohhhh.....a can opener would provide a more smoother uniform and symmetrical cut.  Ok, enough of that.  As for your questions about tires, your going to have to shop to see what YOU want, and then ask that question about your selection and need.  Air ride?  Did you say........"AIR       RIDE      "?  I think thats what I heard!  Yes, it is.  There are several sources for aftermarket air ride systems.  If you crack open a mag like MiniTruckin, Sport Truck, Truckin, and the likes, you will se plenty available kit.  Sometimes you will find a specialized kit for your exact ride.  However, a Jeep is not considered a "MiniTruck" or a full size truck for that matter, so I dont have the answer.  But heres you some links that I grabbed from MiniTruckin.  You will just have to visit the site, or call to get prices for your Jeep.

Http://www.viaircorp.com, Http://www.arsuperstore.com, Http://www.firestoneairbag.com, just to name a few sources.  There are other suppliers that have them as well such as Godfather's Customs, oh and check out http://www.suicidedoors.com, Aim Industries, www.airbagparts.com, www.firstclassauto.com, www.psychopneumatics.com, www.lowriderdepot.com, www.oasismfg.com, and www.fbirides.com.  Looks like there are plenty to contact.  If you need help, just make a note of everything about your Jeep like year, type, ect. that I could help you with. 

Side note, I wont be back onto this site again until Sunday evening.  Going to the NSRA Streetrod Nationals in Springfield, Mo for the weekend.  Talk to everyone then........

JD

P.S.  You could also cut the roof with a hacksaw....

the rah 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2006 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  

dude go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just do ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

rah2son
gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2006 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  

You could always go to home depot and get a bubble dome!DIY Sunroof - Page 2 -- posted image. Seriously though if this Idea materialises, I would suggest gluing a frame to the under side of the remaining skin. ( use 3M o8115 Panel bonding adhesive.) This may save you alot of paint work down the road. From there if you glued a sheet of plexy to another frame with Urethane (same thing windshields are installed with) that won't leak. The only problem is affixing that to the vehicle so that it can be removed. Would have to use some sort of weather strip.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic