icon

Shallow sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
polo3211 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to decide between a pair of the Earthquake SWS 8" or the Pioneer Premeir.  I am planning on using these in a stock location in my e60.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Im thinking the pioneers. Im not a huge fan of them, but for a thin sub they do alright
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Or the Blaupunkt overdrive subs, AVI has a very good shallow mount 10" sub, the SLS500 IIRC.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
frydchkn 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't seen the Earthquake, but I can vouch for the Premier first hand.  I had it in a 92 s10 (not extended cab) behind the seat in a custom box half the size recommended from Pioneer and a 500 Watt Premier to power it.  I wasn't to wild about buying a 'shallow' speaker, but it earned my respect.  My buddy has 2 diamonds in a corolla with a 1,000 watt kenwood and must I say....dare to compare.  Everyone was stumped..."Where are the subs?", I always pointed quickly at the alpine 6x9's on the door and gave them the credit.  If you get it, don't do what I did...I kept the seat so far back it kept the woofer from traveling all the way leading to premature wear..(thank goodness for warranty).  For the new one I clicked my seat one notch forward and voila. Just a little bit of input on your output.

"Beat down yo block knockin pictures off the wall"

Maxxed Outt

spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Rockford  punch P3 shallow

sS

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  

The Earthquake has the best cone suspention in the business.....good enough for Pioneer to use it and pay a dollar per sub to Quake for every one produced.

These woofers WORK....they are NOT for extreme sub bass though, so don't be sold a "false bill of goods" 85% of the bass in the same space! You just have

the option of constructing an enclosure that will damn near fit anywhere. OF COURSE....my vote is for Earthquake!!!

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
The earthquakes, from even a RUDIMENTARY technical standpoint are CRAP... All the rocking modes in those things guarantee crappy, non-linear bass. I mocked them openly at the CES when I saw them. I mocked them openly in FRONT of the Earthquake people, and all of their potential customers... I had no problem doing so! Charles (one of my speaker engineer friends from Harman) then got ahold of them... Oh, man... I was being NICE! Those things are TURDS...
I would go with Rob's suggestion. If he likes 'em, they'd be good enough for me, I'd wager... The AVI or the Blaupunkt would probably be a better choice. I am not personally familiar with either of them, but I can tell you that the Pioneers and Earthquakes are garbage.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I'll get right back to ya on this one.....thanks for your patientsShallow sub -- posted image.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

patients?   are you a doctor?   or did you mean patience?

the Blau Overdrive "Sonic Saucer" subs will surprise you... at least give them a listen before you run out and buy something else... what you like will be totally subjective anyway... but you may as well audition a good cross section.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
KarTuneMan 
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  

Well, 12volters....please DO take note of haemphysts comment!  My,my! In my 43 years on this planet, 21 of them in the electronics industry, I am constantly amazed at the small percentage of people that have found it difficult to show class, or any modicum of restraint. I would hesitate to even ask some to spell the word "diplomacy".  (Yes I know...I can't spell patience). Too much testosterone, and NOT enough good behavior.

Let's see if we can take a look at this subject objectively. I care NOT wether or not my personal opinions are validated by others, because I have learned to attempt to displace my testosterone with a few brain cells and do some actual research.

FIRST,lets look at who designed this Earthquake SWS woofer. (I believe it was called a "turd") Joseph Sahyoun is the lead engineer on this woofer project, and his resume reads like the "who's who" of M.I.T. Having been an engineer for NASA designing missle tracking systems, home audio speaker systems for some of the high profile names in the industry we would all recognize.Carrying patents on over 100 different designs..ranging from sub's, amp's , speakers, and electronic devices of all sorts, he has proven via his actions that he is both viable, and prolific.

He is officially a genius, with an IQ approaching 200. (unlike mine, just shy of 125) I'm just plain old dumb...I guess!

Sadly, when our poor deluded friend Mr. haemphyst claims to have walked into the booth at CES and publicly denigrated this design to those within the booth, he has proven himself a FOOL. Attacking the design that many in the industry who are more successful, more intelligent, and are decicion makers in this industry, have chosen to reguard as innovative and a REAL problem solver, is probably not a good way to bolster one's credibility.

Mr. Sahyoun is known world wide for his expertise in subwoofer design. Magazines such as Stereophile, Digital Home Theater, Absolute Sound, have raved about several sub products submitted by Earthquake. Stereophile, easily the most prestigious reviewer, gave Earthquakes SureNova 15 a "AAA" rating! The ONLY subwoofer to receive this high an award. (no turd here folks) Let's move on......

BOTTOM LINE:  Are there louder subwoofers? Are there better looking subwoofers? You bet! They just aren't thin! Pioneer is one of the true speaker manufacturers in the world, and even they had to acquiesce to this remarkable design and purchase the rights to it!

Well, responses are welcomed. So are opinions. There are three kinds of responces. Agreement, which is nice, but not necessary. An alternative opinion, with some facts, wich is also nice. I always thrive on factual alternative viewpoints. Then theres the snotty, testosterone driven, rude remarks that prove the writters ignorance. Let's raise the "class" of this descussion.

THIS DOESN'T DO JUSTICE TO THIS FORUM.

Peace out!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic