icon

beginning a fg project, fleece?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pajokijr 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
when you start off with the fleece wrapped,do you just soak the fleece in resin wait for it to harden then do your layers with matting or do you start off with resin and matting.cuz i tried to just do the resin and it didnt harden very well,i probably didnt ad enough catylyst but i just want to make sure it was a mixing error and not just a mistake in the procedure.
primal impulse 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
you soak your fleece in resin...I mean alot...keep applying resin untill the fleece becomes "shiny". Then let that cure. Once it is fully cured, start adding resin/matting. The reason your resin didnt cure up well is prolly cuz you didnt use enough harder. Figure about 48 drops of hardener to ever 4oz. resin. Hope that helps.
Hustle, Loyalty, Respect
pajokijr 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
thanks alot,i didnt use a huge amount of resin as it was so...that was helpful thouggh
toolinmaine 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

That is one thing that drives me insane. Counting drops. WTF is that?? is there not like an appropriate ratio?? like 1 ounce to a gallon or something. It would be easier than counting out 20000000000000000000 billion drops. does anyone have a tip on that?

eric anderson-nosredna cire
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
toolinmaine wrote:

That is one thing that drives me insane. Counting drops. WTF is that?? is there not like an appropriate ratio?? like 1 ounce to a gallon or something. It would be easier than counting out 20000000000000000000 billion drops. does anyone have a tip on that?

1/4 teaspoon of hardener for 6 tablesoons of resin, I don't remember the measurement I came up with, but put some MEKP and measure how much 12 drops are, as this is how much you add to 1 ounce of resin, OR measure how much the 48 drops are per 4 ounces

crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

primal impulse wrote:
you soak your fleece in resin...I mean alot...keep applying resin untill the fleece becomes "shiny". Then let that cure. Once it is fully cured, start adding resin/matting. The reason your resin didnt cure up well is prolly cuz you didnt use enough harder. Figure about 48 drops of hardener to ever 4oz. resin. Hope that helps.

or insteaaad of using fleece use a considerably thinner material like grill cloth, panty hose or any other polyester fabric, that doesnt rrequire a gallon of resin for the first coat..

Fiberglass Guru.
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
I remember reading on a post here about thinning out the resin with acetone before you apply it to the cloth, do you guys know anything about this? Thanks.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

it helps the wetting....

the point of the matter is though that the strecthed material has next to no strength what-so-ever...so why not use something thinner, that doesnt require a gallon of resin in the first place....all you need is something that will get hard enough for you to apply mat too..

Fiberglass Guru.
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
I've got some pretty thin fabric that is real stretchy that i picked up today do you think it's worth thinning out the resin, it shouldn't have any trouble wetting out
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hey CrazyOldCougar, how did Grantd get his first yellow star with just 56 posts?  Not Fair! 

Well, dont tell anyone, but Tuesday, I used pantyhose to mold an additional gauge pod into a dash.  I added a single layer of thinned resin as the Guru concurred and BAM!  It was done.  Yeah, listen up learners, there are not many reasons of logic to use a thick fleece material for every fabrication you construct.  Especially when a piece that you are fabricating does not support a substantial amount of weight or if its not going to contain a positive or negative air pressure, such as the gauge pod I mentioned.  All you need is something to exhibit a hardened general shape that will provide a foundation for your additional finishing touches.  However, when using thicker fleece you do not always have to soak it initially.  What you can do, of coarse depending on nature of build, you can wet one side, let fully cure, and then coat the other side maybe a little heavier.  This way you dont have to race your resin's gelling time. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic