icon

Bass sound windows up/down

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

I tried searching for this and odd that I didn't find anything.

I just recently installed 2 10" Memphis subs and built a sealed box for them. The box is approx .75 volume. The amps are powered by a 500 @1 OMH RMS Memphis amp. Anyway, I know that alot of the times bass volume goes up when you open your windows and doors but I would say mine doubles. Could this be a result of the box being to small or just the fact that it's a sealed box?

aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
rats no edit...I ment to put that the volume is .75 per side as each sub has it's own chamber.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
I get the same thing. i have build many different size boxes, ported sealed. it comes down to frequency waves. when your window is up the waves are bouncing of your windsheild and the drop is canceling new waves a bit. but when the windows are open the waves are free and clear to escape they are not trapped. so there is no cancelation and you decrease the pressure that the subs create in the cabin by opening the windows so with windows up you are allowing a free and clear path for sound to travel instead of being bounced off your windsheild traveling in the opposite direction as new sound waves are traveling canceling out certain levels. and such.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks for the quick reply! So is there anything that can be done about this? I've heard/seen this before but never to this extreem. I can literally hear and feel like I just upped the power by about 2-3 times more when I open the door as opposed to just windows down or especially windows up.
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
I can't guarantee this will help but you could try positioning/facing your sub different ways to see if it helps with the cancelling.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
From my experience it differs from vehicle to vehicle. This "anomly" you are describing most often occurs in SUVs and Hatchbacks where there is no trunk wall to block the waves. I personally dont notice a huge difference when I roll down the windows in my sedan.
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

Same thing happend with my s10 extended cab. i could roll my windows down and easyily gain 3db with a meter. So what i would suggest is just ride around with your windows down like i did. ;)

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2006 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies guys. The vehicle in question is a 68 VW Beetle. They are in the package tray ( in the back below the rear window) firing forward. The way I designed the box (quick throw together) they can't fire down. I MIGHT be able to turn it to fire them up or face them to the rear. I might try that and see how much of a differance it makes. I was just wondering if the volume inside would make a differance as far as window up or down.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic