icon

is my ported box a dud, pic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bassrider20hz 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

Wuzzup everyone i recently went to a shop so they can fabricate a ported box for my 2 tens took them 2 days i gave them the specs sheet and everything i know for a fact that this shop knows what theyre doing. well after i broke my sealed box i decided to try this and upgrade. well i pop in the subs and connect everything now i pop in my  E40 cd and the song i was listening to before dindt hit as low. before i would flex the roof of my car with a sealed box and now its nothing. dont get me wrong because i do feel that i got a lot more spl but not in the lower end.

since i went from sealed to ported do i need to retune my settings on my EQ and headunit or is this box a dud.

is my ported box a dud, pic -- posted image.

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
looks ok, however its all wood, i guess those guys were busy, because two days to make that is a lot. you must have a week roof if your flexing your roof with two tens. i have two 13w7's and i can even do that. shoot i even got a hyundai. however. a ported box generally hits lower notes. than a sealed box. maybe those speakers just prefer a sealed box.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect one sub only and see if it is magically louder. If it is then one sub is wired backwards, called out of phase. This results in a loss of bass energy.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
What model subs and amp are you using?
Did you set your gain properly before you got the new box? If not, the installer may have set your gains correctly which would explain why you are noticing a difference.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Or maybe it's the tuning Hz of the box? what is the tuning Hz?
Shaking The Neighborhood
bassrider20hz 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

well i was listening to some more cds to test out this box and nope the deep bass i was loking for wasnt what i was expecting. the deep bass is there but it seems that is doesnt play as loud I know that something is wrong it seems that my sub strugles more with this box. there are some notes that it plays beautifully and loud and good i would say around 65-80hz. I was thinking it was the tunning on the port i dont know what it is tunned to.  the port size is    11, 1/2 tall  1, 1/2 wide and 9 inches deep.

do you guys think its a good idea to play with the port like making it longer to change the tunning freq.        Thank you all for your good help.

luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
Did you actually set the gain before you got the new box or just have the knob turned all the way up?
bassrider20hz 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

no i have the same gain that i had with my  sealed box the only thing i messed with was with the eq. I im having doubts that the problem might be in the ports

Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
did you double check your gain, your SubSonic Filter and your crossover?
Shaking The Neighborhood
bassrider20hz 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
yes i did. I even turned off the x-over and set the amp to full pass so the box can play all the tones and i get the same result.  Ive played with the bass boost but i dont like to use that so its set to 0.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic