icon

wiring 2 ohm subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
twiztid8323 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Im thinking about buying these power acoustik subs  : http://www.caraudiodeals.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=307

They are Dual 2 Ohm voice coil.

I own this amp  :   http://www.caraudiodeals.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_30&products_id=368

My question is does my amp handle 2ohm? Ive hurd it will only handle 4ohm.  I know that i can wire a single  dual 2 ohm voice coil sub to 4ohm.  Can i hook that one sub up to 1 channel of my 2 channel amp? Or does it have to be bridged?

Also does wiring a 2ohm sub to 4ohm take rms handling power away?

If anyone can help me out with this post it would be great.

Thankyou

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

According to the amp specs, that amp will safely handle 4 ohms bridged.  Since you already have the amp, look for a couple of dual 4 ohm subs, or just buy one of those Power Acoustics.  Be warned- neither of those brands is known for high quality, so the specs may look good on paper, but may not give you what you want.

The rms rating of a speaker does not change.  What will change, however, is the load on the amp.  Running an amp at a lower impedence will produce more power, but will also create more heat as well as higher THD levels (distortion).  When running an amp at a higher impedence will produce less power, it will run cooler, and produce a cleaner sound.  So there is a tradeoff and it all depends on what you're after.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
twiztid8323 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your reply.

All i need to know now is , if i wire a 2ohm sub to 4ohm   how do i connect that to my 2 channel amp? can i put it on 1 channel? or does it have to be bridged?

twiztid8323 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

Im buying 2 of the 2ohm subs. So if i wire them seperate to 4ohms can i hook 1 up to 1channel and the other to the 2nd channel?

I dont really want to bridge it because my amp is 2000 watts max bridged. and the subs are only 1800 watts max a peice.  It might spike them. Plus i dont think i can bridge two 2ohm subs to equal 4ohm, can i?

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2006 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Don't worry about your amp overpowering those subs.
I high doubt that amp can put out 2000 watts MAX nor can it push 500 watts rms. I'm guessing your a noob. But we all have to start somewhere.
You should buy DUAL 4 OHM VOICE COIL subs and wire each paralleled to a channel.
What is the total fuse rating on that amp?
20? 40? 15?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2006 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can run 4 ohms stereo- one sub with the coils in series per channel.  If you were to bridge them, you'd need to series all the coils for 8 ohms bridged.  This is electrically the same.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
twiztid8323 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
yeah im the noob? you cant even answer a simple question buddy. I NEVER SAID I WANT A 4 OHM SUB. i said im getting two 2ohm subs can i wire each one to 4 ohms and wire that to 1 channel of my 2 channel amp.  i didnt ask what should i get a 4 ohm or a 2ohm, i know 4 ohms are easier.  2 ohms are better especially when i get rid of the lanzar amp and get a legit one. thanks for nothin NEWB.
twiztid8323 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

Hey im guessing your the newb with a big wallet? You go out and spend top dollar on namebrand stuff that only pushes out 100rms per 300 bux for an amp. My buddy has a 1600 watt Legacy peice of shyt amp(100 bux). With cheap ol legacy speakers(30 bux each) in his hatchback civic. It shakes the whole car to peices, he has cracks in his glass. Cant even look into the rearview window because its blur.(149db)

Im sorry i dont work for a living to pay off system debt.

twiztid8323 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
total fuse rating is 40- two 20a fuses
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry to bust your bubble but 40 amp fuse is goin to push prolly no more than 500 rms. Still with that amp you maybe lucky to get 300rms.
Don't get sh*tty at us for trying to help you out. If you can read you would know that dual 4 ohm subs would let you get the most out of that amp. Getting crappy with us will lead to no feedback for you.
Also I high doubt your friend can hit 149 with a sh*tty legacy amp and sh*tty legacy subs. I also have high doubts that sh*tty legacy subs and a sh*tty legacy amp can crack your winshield...I know many others here will back me up one this.
There is no way to get a final 4 ohm load with 2 DVC 2 ohm subs. WE ARE ONLY TRYING TO HELP YOU!!
A $300 100 real watt rms amp will blow that piece of crap legacy out of the water.
Sorry for going off but what goes around comes around.
Also I work my *** off so yeah.
Next time just try to take some GOOD ADVICE from us here.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic