icon

Will this amp work with these subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arkansasboy 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
My friend has a brand spankin new 2400 watt Fosgate 2 Channel amp and he said he'd sell it to me for 300 dollars.........the thing is, will it work with my two 15" Soundstream Picasso subs. There Dual 4 voice coil subs. Will this set up work?
Dan Tha Man
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  

what is the model # on the amp? ....amp should be 2ohm stereo stable ...so wire each subs voice coils in parallel and to individual channels on the amp.

sS

rtfm
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  
it will work fine. wire the subs in a series parallel combo to get a 4 ohm load. what type of enclosure do you have  ?
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
arkansasboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
I made a enclosure that has like 4 cubic foot of air space on the inside, so it is plenty big enough. Its just a square box design....no wall, just one big sealed chamber. I thought about wiring it as a parallel and then bridging it to the amp? Would that work?
Dan Tha Man
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

That's going to give you a load that amp is probably not going to like at all.  I would stick with the series parallel wiring setup.  Make sure the enclosure volume is what is recomended for those drivers as well.  Brace the enclsosure too.

arkansasboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
Alright then, so I should probably go with a 4 ohm load then? Do you think that would sound better than a 1 ohm load on those 15's or should I look at getting a Class D amp?
Dan Tha Man
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
1 ohm load on a normal 2 channel amp is going to do some damage. I mean you CAN wire it this way if you want to go ahead and buy a new amp.
No less than 4 ohms bridged or 2 ohms stereo.
Only a good class D amp will handle a 1 ohm load on some nice 15's
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
If the Rockford is a 2 channel amp than you MUST wire to 4 ohms in your case if you dont wanna cook it.  It should push your 15's just fine though. If he is your buddy, then ask him if you can hook it up first and try it out to see if you like it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic