icon

8W6 Mid bass and L7 low end?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
OK guys as some of you might know I am still working on my kick panel and well that was temporary till i do my door panels, I need some help on my system on what I should do.  What I was thinkin but not to sure about was using (2) 12" 06 Kicker L7's for my bass, and for the mid bass my uncle has 4 JL 8W6's that have been laying around for the longest and they are brand new.  Now I was gonna FG my door panels to put some Components in, BUT was thinking why not use the 8W6's for mid bass on the doors?  Do you guys think that would be a good setup?  If I go that route what do you guys think on the highs?  should I still go with a set of 2 components one in front and one in the back?  I mean those speakers have just been sitting collecting dust for about a year and a half because nobody wants to dish out the money he paid for them so he is willing to hook me up with them in payments u know how family does it! haha.  Im really interested and curious, because I want to just get my system together as I want to FG my panels but not until I decide what exactly I want and AM GOING to throw in my car.  An amp is going to be interesting on these though seeing as they are dual 6 ohm, here is the link for the specs.  I would really appreciate some input on what a good speaker set-up would be knowing I am gonna get the kickers no matter what.  Thanks for the input guys, I really am looking forward to hearing your input.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Those 8W6's will work very very well as a sub as well.     Quite awhile ago I had 3 of them in a slot ported enclosure...about 2 cu ft net volume on 1000 watts.      I wish I would have never sold them, it was a killer setup.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
If you are going for a sound quality setup, rear speakers really arent recommended. It throws off the sound stage unless you can install them just right. For a proper sound stage you want it to seem like all of the sound is coming from in front of you. Id say 2 sets of components and 2 of the 8W6's in the front doors would be a perfect setup.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

In that case, as he wants to sell 4 as the set, could I use the 4 one in each door as I said, and a set of comps along with the 8W6's up in the front doors? and just leave the rear w/o speakers besides the cheapo JVC 6x9's I picked up cheap in the rear panels, which most of the sound gets canceled from those due to they aim directly at my sub box, and you can get the faint sound from them.  The reason I am asking about the 8W6's for mid bass is because he wants to get rid of them for the $$$ obviously lol, and I want to find my speaker set up so I can get started on my door panels!!!! hehe its summer time, time to work!  My uncle who I probably know more about systems than him due to this FABULOUS site! haha told me that I cant use them for mid bass. . . RIGGGGHT I told him, yes I agree they are better for straight bass but would still be some killer mid bass pumpers. 

As a seperate question do you think that by having a set-up somewhat like that would be a competition type set-up?  Anywho my main purpose right now is to figure out the speakers so I know how to do my panels so HELP ME OUT GUYS! lol

BTW thanks for the help guys it is highly and greatly appreciated!!!

killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

like i said, a set of comps and 1 8W6 in each front door would be perfect. I would not use all 4 8W0s as midrange at once unless you are going to have more than 1 set of comps because the midbass would overpower everything. If you are looking to compete for SQ, that would not be so good.

The choice and amount of speakers is only a very small part to building a SQ competition car. The comps you chose will be a bigger part than the amount of speakers you have. The way you position all the speakers, the amps you use, your sound stage, your time alignment (should you chose to use it), your choice of cd player, and many other factors come in to play.

mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

Hey killer thanks for that explanation it was great, well I mean he wants to sell the 4 so either I buy all 4 and sell two or just use the 4.  I have the room to do it, but like I said I mean what is better?  I haven't actually looked into the comps yet, but if you believe that only 2 would be better than I mean I could go that route, but remember I have the 8445 like you and I was thinking about buying the 5.1 decoder, not sure about it though as I dont really need it, but there are lots of things that are nice to have you know? lol Either way going with the 2 or the 4, what would you recommend component wise that will be up to par with the JL's and kickers in two different groups, one that would be at par with that set-up and sound good, and one the same as the one I just said but easy on the wallet.

Thanks killer your a great help!!

killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

If you are only going to run one set of components up front, only run 2 of the 8W7s to keep the frequency spectrum somewhat balanced. You can hang onto the other 2 subs as spares or sell them, whichever you want. If you are going to run more than 1 set of comps up front I dont see a problem with running all 4 8W7s. I wouldnt recommend using the 5.1 decoder on the deck cause although its a nice feature, it still sucks ass. If you want true 5.1 (or however many subs you have) you really should get an external digital processor. For comps you could trying looking for a nice set of alpines. I personally dont run them but i am a big fan of them. They arent all that expensive, especially if you are going to take the risk and buy it online. I havent heard the JL comps yet. The kicker I wouldnt recommend. Eclipse are nice as well as the mid to high end infinitys.

mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Alright Thanks a lot for that help Sonata, it has given me some insight on what I should do.  Great help and once again thanks bud!
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, anytime! kepp us updated as to your progress. Pics are always a bonus!
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
Killer sonata, what in the world do you have setup with all the stuff in your sig?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic