icon

system sounds like junk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eaks 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
ok guys.. i know this is not an amazing system or anything but its a good enough one for me!
im trying to just run a kicker L5 sub off my kenwood Kac-x521.. i have tried adjusting most the settings on my amp and my deck (cdx-m8810) but it always sounds to be distorted.. i know it will always ratel.. but its not jsut teh ratteling .. it is very distorted.. im woundering if anyone wud be able to help me get this system sounding good!!
I like it to be very bassy but i dont want the bass to make it hard to hear the treble.. but that can be tweaked after if u guys all help this thing sound beter!
Thanks a lot!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of enclosure is the sub mounted in?  Did you set the amplifier gain properly?  Is the bass boost turned OFF?  Where is the crossover set?
Support the12volt.com
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
im not sure man.. the sub is mounted in a custom kicker enclosure built specifically for the sub..
i dont know how to set the amp. gain.. im not sure how to set the bass boost (i assume thats in my deck and i can easily do that), and im not sure what the crossover set ur talking about it
Thanks tho and hopefully u can help me get her sounding good!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like it's time to go visit your friendly neighborhood car stereo installer.  Take the car to a good local independent car stereo store (not a chain store like Best Buy) and pay them for a half-hours labor to set things up properly.  It'll be money well spent, and if you ask you may be able to watch and learn.  Plus you'll develop good contacts with a pro who can help you with purchases, etc. in the future.
Support the12volt.com
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
ya.. theres no real installers around here actually.. the closest is about an hour away and thats a futureshop.. i was asked by a pawnshop if i wanted to install sterio systems in cars after he saw the work i did on my install.. I declined due to school and that i didn't really wanna do work on new cars with security features that i wud need to get around!
i wud really like to learn this stuff myself.. so if u could just help me get it setup this time then i will know for future system setups!!
Thanks a lot..
mjmauto 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
You should'nt  always avoid the big box stores ( Best Buy ,  Circuit City ). I have worked for both independent and also at a big box store where i currently work.  The quality of work we are required do here is far better than any of the Installs I or anyone I worked with did in the other shops.  It Just depends on the Installer.
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
The problem with car stereo installers is they don't get paid crap, so finding one that does good work is sometimes difficult. Find a friend that does it. I recently helped a friend wire up a stereo for a boat, and the wiring we did in that is 10x better than the wiring the boat came with. Like I said, ask around, and either find a friend, or find someone that gives a damn.
-Drew
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
can anyone help me get this working by myself.. i like learning..
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, first off for setting the gain,a  quick search of this site will reveal how to set the amp gain using a digital multimeter, its been covered many times and this site has some excelent tutorials about it. As for your other problem, that sub is a dual voice coil and it sounds like a coil is wired out of phase. Double check that the coils are wired together properly.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
are there any diagrams for wiring a dual voice coil sub.. i bought it from a guy who seemed to know what he was doing.. but i havent talked to him in awhile cuz he lives in a different province!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic