icon

capacitor putting more of a strain on sys

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mech3 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

I have a question regarding a 2 farad capacitor that I recently purchased. (i know everyone here is pretty much against caps) After installing the cap it seems like my lights dim even more when the bass hits. I replaced two 1/2 farad caps that I thought were defective as they were about seven years old, but they seem to perform better then my new cap. Is it possible that I got a defective 2 farad cap thats just straing my electrical system more?

Thanks for all the help

Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
can you afford a High Output Alternator and a good battery? i think it would work better than caps
Shaking The Neighborhood
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Aruman wrote:
can you afford a High Output Alternator and a good battery? i think it would work better than caps
Ditto on that, I have a 1.2 Lanzar cap for sale brand spanking new if your interested!
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
OK, now instead of telling you to buy a high output altenator I'll try to answer your question. Its possible you have a defective cap, but you have to remember that if your charging system couldnt keep up with your stereo before, all you have done is add another draw onto the already strained charging system. What that means is that the cap is PROBALLY fine, the car just cant keep up with everything you have added on.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
Big three first and see if that helps a lil. Then go for the HO alt.
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the replies guys. I probably should give a little more info to my situation. Everything I have done to my system has seemed to backfire. I replaced all my stock 6x9's to have more volume range, only to have them be louder then the stock speakers. I put in a four channel amp and turned the gains all the way down to help a little. Replaced my old excelon amp that was pushing my new L7  because it was bridged @ 2ohm and the amp wasnt supposed to run like that.(although it worked fine and pounded) Purchased a mtx ta7402 super amplifier which sounded good but was a power hog (class a/b) which I thought was the source of my problem. I redid all grounds, etc. Redid all power cable to 4 gauge,  bought an optima yellowtop that didnt fit my car, so had to bring it back a get a red top. Tried uprading the big three but my car has a seperate voltage regulator that I cannot locate. Its an 05 sebring so everything is as crammed into the engine compartment. Tried purchasing the 2 farad cap to resolve the issue but it just made it worse. Replaced my amp with an mtx class d mono block hoping to be more efficient which helped a little but not much, and I have had trouble locating a h/o alternator for an 2005 2.7l sebring sedan. I also tried moving the ground point of my amp so it shares the same point as my cap which didnt help either. And finally i upgraded my interconnects with a 17ft stinger helix because my old monster rca's were about 7 years old, and now i swear i have a slight echo on my bass. And finally I dynamated my entire trunk and doors only to find that all my rattle has been coming from the fiberglass hang over from the bumper. Sorry about the rant, but everthing has back fired and I appreciate any help I get from you all.

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry to hear about the troubles, trust me it happens to everybody sometime. But on another note if you don't want to spen a large amount of money on a ho alternator this would be an option. Look in the phone and find an automitce electric shop. Givem a call and see if they can re-do alt. to a higher amperage, I have a shop locally that has re-done a few for me with good results. The lst one I had tweaked cost about $100 for a 160 amp. Make sure it comes with a warranty and see if they test it in-house to verify the amperage. The shop I use is set-up with a computer, where you get a print out of what the alt. puts out, like a little dyno sheet.
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, I will look into that. Seeing I cannot find a ho alt for my vehicle that would be a great option. Its just strange that I am having all this problem as I am only powering a single 12 sub, and the amp is 800w rms @ 2ohm you wouldnt think that it would require a whole lot of power. The amp has 90 amps worth of fuses and the ta7402 I replaced with it had 105. I am going to try and figure out how to upgrade my big three this weekend and see what happens (if i can only fins the voltage regulator)

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
800 rms is a strain for a stock electrical system.
ushank 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

You should take out hte capacitor and try a kinetik battery.  It works better all the way around.  You have different sizes a hc 600 equals 100-1 farad caps and this is the smallest one they make.

www.kinetikpower.com to find a dealer in your area.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic