icon

home stereo in car lol?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
well to day i had a guy come in and say he didn't like any co axes or componets that he has heard, but the ones he did like cost to much. so he said that he was gona use some of his home stereo stuff take them out of the box and put them in his door panel for some 3ways, i am not hating on the idea its something different i was just wondering has anybody here ever tried that and what happend i am kinda interested just for the hell of it. who knows they might sound ok, and he told me they were some new pioneers had a 8" woofer 3.5"mid and 1" tweet. I think this is gona bug me till i try it just for ease of mind has me tripping out.
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

I've done it.

A few years back my brother wanted components for his car but didn't have the money. So he took a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers that he had and ask me if I could make some kick panel enclosures for him. I did make them and since the original boxes were sealed it was easy to to make the kicks the same volume. The funny thing is that the speakers sounded better in the kicks than on the original boxes. That car was the only 83 Corolla with kicks and a good sounding system around here.

ieSpell rocks.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
Why do you find this amusing? A speaker is a speaker is a speaker...
Technically and physically, they do EXACTLY the same thing. I don't have any problem with it at all. I have used 8 ohm Morel (a so-called "home" speaker...) drivers in my doors for years.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
rdaudio 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
only problem is home audio is not built to withstand the abuse of the car audio world. they have thinner cones less power handeling and the ohms dont work home is 16 or 8 ohm setups. ive seen people put concert speakers in there trunk people will do whatever to get some sound and most people even in car audio dont use everything neccasary to have a good sounding car. people will spend what ever on woofers and a class d amp but dont buy dynomat or batterys or a high out put alt. or even new door speakers.
Revolution Design Audio
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Back in the day everybody did that.
Big Dave
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

90% of the home speakers I see in peoples car's are home speaker boxes hooked up off their rear speakers, and have em sittin in the seat....then asking me, why does my radio keep cutting off

rtfm
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
rdaudio wrote:
only problem is home audio is not built to withstand the abuse of the car audio world. they have thinner cones less power handeling and the ohms dont work home is 16 or 8 ohm setups. ive seen people put concert speakers in there trunk people will do whatever to get some sound and most people even in car audio dont use everything neccasary to have a good sounding car. people will spend what ever on woofers and a class d amp but dont buy dynomat or batterys or a high out put alt. or even new door speakers.
Wow... are YOU ever out of touch... I have used so-called "home" speakers more in my systems than I have ever used so-called "car" speakers, with far better and longer lasting results. The "abuse" you refer to is really nothing more than temperature extremes. The finest "home" drivers in the world use butyl surrounds, with aluminum voice coil formers, (and even more exotic materials in many cases) and are perfectly at home on hostile environments... As far as the impedance "issue" to which you refer, nearly ALL "home" drivers now come in 4 ohm ratings... Even if they WERE only available as 8 or 16 ohm drivers, (which they aren't) why do you, why WOULD you, believe this is a bad thing?
When is the last time you used a 6 inch woofer in your doors with a 3 inch voice-coil, 120 Watt RMS and a 1200 (yes, one THOUSAND-two hundred) watt peak power capability? And that peak spec is at 1Khz, for 1000 milliseconds... ONE FULL SECOND at 1200 watts! Look into Morel, my friend... Those are the very woofers I have in my doors presently. I've never in my life seen a "car" speaker rated like that, have you?
Nah... All I am saying is that "all generalizations are false" (let's see if anybody catches the irony in that statement). But really, you need to look into the blurred line that you have painted to be razor sharp between "home" and "car". Chosen properly and carefully, there is no "car" driver (or at a minimum, VERY few) on the planet that will compete in any respect with a true high-end "home" driver.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2006 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Why do you find this amusing? A speaker is a speaker is a speaker...
Technically and physically, they do EXACTLY the same thing. I don't have any problem with it at all. I have used 8 ohm Morel (a so-called "home" speaker...) drivers in my doors for years.
I am quoting this for truth. I am now using so called home audio speakers for my front doors at the advice of some members here, i cant begin to thank them enough for thier advice, i've never heard such crisp clean highs and solid lows from a 6.5" woofer.
my doors are now louder than the old 10"s i used to have when i was a Best Buy kid.
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
placebo-pete 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  

My dad grafted in a Maudant Short 8" sub in to the passenger footwell of a mercedes E300 it has a beautiful sound with a nice punch to it aswell.

Although he has plans to fit in a 10" now 

I don't know sometimes I have to worry whether he's gonna beat me into submission in a sound off one day!!

Placebo-Pete

dwrwebb 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 Cerwin Vega 380SE (somewhat old now, but in great shape) With two    6",  one    2" ( just guessing) tweeter, and one     15" sub   in each tower.  By removing the screen, you gain access to individual tone control knobs (bass, treble).  I thought about dismantling the towers and making new enclosures to replace the low grade speakers that had been connected to our reciever, but then I wondered about putting them in my crown victoria.   They are 4 ohm speakers, but there are numerous resistors in each tower  (both standard tube resistors, and coil resistors), and a fuse.  Would I need to get new resistors, or could I simply yank the old speakers in my car, redo the dynomat, and stick them in?  what about the subs?   I've been trying to research the car audio stuff for a few days, and then I happened across this post, and it sounds like some of you guys are very knowledgable..   Just thought I'd seek some advice.   Thanks 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic