the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Noise issues in a brand new Fusion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, let's see if you guys have any ideas to solve a noise issue in a vehicle.  I've tried everything I can think of.

Vehicle:  2006 Ford Fusion

Equipment:  Alpine CDA-9857 head unit with ipod cable attached and SWIX steering wheel controls installed;  Old school Kicker 4 channel amplifier (not sure what model) running Focal components all around;  Old School Phoenix Gold amplifier running Kicker Solobaric subwoofer.  The amps and subwoofer the customer brought in.

The customer left, then came back in the next day because he didn't like the looks of the head unit in the kit.  I was on another install, so the manager took the deck out to look at it, and when put back in the customer came right back in saying a noise all of a sudden showed up.

The noise was a constant hum along with alternator whine.  We tried running a reference ground from the amp to the head unit and the noise got worse.  Running a set of RCA's through the center of the car didn't help.  We then connected the RCA's I ran to the shop CD player, so the signal is running through my ran RCA's, and the noise completely went away.  That eliminated everything from the head unit back.  We tried swaping out the CD player, and that didn't help.  So we tried powering the head unit with our shop's power supply, and the noise was still there.  We even tried cutting the dimmer wire to see if it was coming through it, and that didn't help.

Putting noise filters on the RCA's did completely get rid of the noise.  However the customers saw us walking with them to his car and complained saying he didn't want any noise filters in his vehicle.  I should also mention that turning down the gains on the amplifier did reduce the noise volume, but didn't get rid of it completely. 

Anybody have any ideas?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Wild guess: Alpine head was removed without disconnecting the battery (or battery was disconnected under load) and something in the vehicle's power system was damaged.  Try using a completely seperate power and ground from the battery directly to the HU.  It is also possible the vehicle's ECU is poorly grounded.
Support the12volt.com
jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  

i had the same problem doing a fusion about a month for like 2 weeks there was no noise then all of a sudden it showed up well i found that a little of the insulation on the rca's rubbed off so the so the rca's was pickin noise up from the metal frame cause its a ground try checking the rca's from front to back or jus completley start over and run all the rca's by them selfs with nothing around them at all if it still persists its gotta be the amp or the car cause i know mid 90's camry's are natorious for noise i hope that helps a little and i know u know more than i do so good luck

93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

Dyohn:  I actualy tried that.  We have a test bench in our shop with a power supply and head unit.  It's where I got that external signal to run through my RCA's.  I also tried powering the Alpine head unit (power, ground, and accessory wires) with it and the noise was still there.  That's what made the problem so confusing. 

It's almost like it's a radiated noise being picked up by the head unit itself.  I guess I could see if it is there with the head unit out of the dash.  Sounds like a bit of Mu Metal for shielding might be in order.

Jayson, if it was the RCA's or amps, then the noise would have been there when I ran a signal from the shops head unit through those RCA's and into the amps.  Since it wasn't there, that means they aren't the source of the noise.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Steven, the radiated noise idea sounds good , have you tried playing the stereo with the head unit held in hand away from the dash? Also is it just with the I-Pod as a source? I have run into some bad Alpine 422i cords that did introduce engine noise.
There is no such thing as free installation!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
Steven, if you have not tried a new head unit now's the time, unless as Bob suggests it's iPod-related noise.  Those things are more trouble than they're worth sometimes...
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
It's there with all sources.  I actually tried swaping out the deck with no luck.  We are doing another Fusion right now, so I'm curious if noise developes on it too if it's a radiated noise issue from some factory component.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect all other sources including the Ipod and remove it from the dash. Unplug the antenna. Run a new temporary ground and power line direct to the amplifiers. Use the new temporary rca cabling. If the amps are mounted down to metal undo them and place them on cardboard. Do not let the cd player touch anything metal and then retest.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Also, I go back to the first post: if the deck was working and then someone removed it from the dash and remounted it, and THEN the noise began, the act of removing and remounting is what caused some sort of damage to something, and from all the swapping around you've tried already my gut tells me it's something in the car.
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Posted: June 18, 2006 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

Rob reminded me, I also disconnected the antenna with no luck either.  The amps are mounted to MDF, and the power and RCA's are run on opposite sides of the vehicle.  I think you are right Dyohn.  I have eliminated every other possible source for the noise.  It has to be radiating directly into the head unit.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic