icon

custom fiberglass steering wheel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackonblackgsx 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  

Want to know how do i create a fiberglass steering wheel. i saw one in a magazine a while back, by fishman i believe and always wondered if its a hard task to tackle? Any info will be greatly apprecciated.  thank you in advance

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  
not to lie it would probably be very hard to do that the first time. Your not talking about a flat pannel your talking about a structurally stong rounded surface. however it can be done but it will take some misstakes along the way for someone that may or maynot have used carbon fiber before.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
was it fiberglass or plexiglass?
i remember seeing him do a plexiglass one in a van i believe
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
sorry i read the wrong thing. like posted after me i belive it was a plexiglass steering wheel. made with a clear casting resin. which is basically fiberglass as well. the hardest thing is to make the mold.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have a sketch of what you want it to look like?

Will if just be round and circular like a standard steering wheel.  I can give some insight as to how to start it, but I need a design or shape to go off of.

I draw some designs when i get home and post them to see if I can help materialize it.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
blackonblackgsx 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  
hey guys sorry hadnt had a chance to get back at your replies, well i dont know how to put up a sketch up so the best way i can describe what im trying to go for is a steering wheel thats cut in both ends (upper and lower), i believe some or all formula one race cars have steering wheels like what im talking about, also i would like to add two accessory buttons on each side, sorry cant be more informative. Thank you guys for all your help!
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

custom fiberglass steering wheel -- posted image.

I know that is a bit elaborate, but that overall shape.  Is that what you are going for?

When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

if you do wish to cast it out of clear resin, i believe i can lend a hand.  Alumilite makes very good products.  First off, it will be very hard to get a crystal clear part.  Small bubbles will form in the resin, and will show up in the finished part.  You need to pressure cast it to force out the bubbles.  A pressure vessel big enough for a steering wheel will be very costly.  You could cast it in just about any color you want using dyes.  That would make it look much better.  Also with clear casting resin, you would need to make the part perfect, or pretty close to it, because any cut you make will have to be polished back to clear.  But if you are still interested heres how to do it. 

First step is to make the part EXACTLY how you want it, out of wood or plastic.  Any non pourous material will work.  If you use wood be sure to seal it with something like clear coat.

Second thing is to make a mold.  You will most likly need to make a two part mold.  The guys at alumilite can explain it much better than me, so check out their website.  www.alumilite.com

They cover the rest of the process at that website.  They also sell RTV rubber and casting resin that will work for your project.  You will also need a very precise digital scale to mix the resin, like a jewlers scale.  hope i've been of some help.

blackonblackgsx 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you guys for all your help, seems that it would be a very expensive project to persue so I might as well just buy a sparco steering wheel or something similar, again, thank you guys!!!!!! 
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
Sparco is great, but if you get the funds in the future, I would attempt the project anyway, nothing costs as much as you may intially think sometimes.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic