icon

custom fiberglass steering wheel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

So, what ever happened to this post??????????????????  Did I blow this project out of the water or are you finally busy bustin' your balls fabricating your bad ass steering wheel?  If so, lets see some pics, but if not, what the heck happened? 

Com'on you, Im'a all anxious and stuff!!!!!!!!!!

broughtdown 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

i understand that in order to have a steering wheel like this it can not be a daily driver, but you still have to move a show car some.... drive it a little bit, wouldnt a fiberglass wheel.... break? Maybe start off with the factory wheel and cut away unnessary places then build off of that?

torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

No, of coarse not...  Even if it were constructed of fiberglass only, it would be useable for normal driving.  However, if you wreck your car, that steering wheel is toast, especially since the airbag is no longer there.  But none of mine are ever "ONLY" constructed of fiberglass.  Ill take it for granted that you didnt read any of this posting before you asked that question....being I fully explained the use of re-bar for base structure for the designed figure the customer requested.  I do use foam as well as fiberglass to cover and finish the housing parts for electronics when desired.  Our upholstery acquaintence finishes them sometimes with a soft padding then leather or whatever the customer requests.

I have used a factory wheel, burned all of the plastic/rubber off of it to expose the metal structure and built from there.  All of my fabricated stearing wheels are used a minimum of 5,000 miles per year (I only know this being my mom is an insurance agent and insure alot of our streetrod / lead sleds / mini-trucks / kit cars / ect. and they all report more than 5k per year.)

If your a driver like me, your hand pretty much stays on one part of the wheel, and your elbow rests on the top of the door panel, and my other elbow resting on my formed and fabricated center floating console.  My steering wheel is constructed as a single "D" shaped triangle...if you will.  I have a steering quickener like the racecars use.  I only have to move the "D" about 7 inches either way from center to lock - lock.  This enabled me to have a large console thats molded with all the freaky amp racks, DVD/stereo, TFT/LCD screen, LED indicators, gauges, switches, power cap, glowing plexiglass emblems, epicenter crossover networks, pneumatic stick shift....all in a '95 SuperCab Ranger. 

broughtdown 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2006 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
torquehead--- thanks man i appreciate it! send me some pics. of your work to broughtdownkustomz@yahoo.com if you dont mind? i enjoy looking at peoples work!
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic