icon

getting rid of pats

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djlayz 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
does anyone know how to unistall pats in my 99 windstar but still being able to start?
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
just a question why do you need to remove it? what is the problem
i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
djlayz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
i only have one key. and i tired to get a second one programmed but it didnt work because something is wrong with the computer and they want like 80$ to do a diagnostics. so i just figured it would be cheaper to remove the pats
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

There is a very easy way of doing it.

Just take the key you have now and remove the transponder from it.  Place the transponder on the side of the ignition cylinder  and try to start the car (you will have to play with the location). When you find a spot that works glue the transponder in place using some sort of epoxy and then tape over it.

Now you have a car that uses regular keys and you will never have to pay a dealer for a coded key ever again.

ieSpell rocks.
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a good idea, and its the easy way.
i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
djlayz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
how do you take the transponder out? i know were it is but how do you open it?
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
On some keys you just slide it out, on others you have cut it out. On the last one  I did, I had to grind the plastic out to get to the transponder, the metal part of the key under the plastic was like a hook and the transponder sat inside the hook.
ieSpell rocks.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

The 99 Windstar used the original ford transponder keys, and should have a little rectangular door on the top or bottom of the key head, maybe down where  the metal shaft comes out. You can pry open the door using a small flat head screwdriver.  Then tap the head of the key until a pellet looking thing slides out.  Make sure you DON'T do this over the floor where it can fall out onto the floor and shatter.  Then you could put the door back on the key and Hot glue the pellet to the Antenna Ring located inside the steering column shroud.  Its a black ring that is around the ignition switch.  You cannot see it until you take off the shroud (plastic around the steering column). Placement is EVERYTHING, so before you glue it maybe use tape to test it.  I've actually seen someone unscrew the antenna ring from the ignition switch and tape the pellet to it and then leave the antenna off and wire tied it under the dash.  They never put the antenna back around the ignition cylinder.  Once you attach the pellet to the antenna ring, it really doesn't matter where you put the antenna after all, right??.  It will always get that signal. So, After all is done and tested go to a locksmith a get a new key cut and you are ready to go!

Good luck,

Frank

flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

After posting this I thought I might see if  www.Bulldogsecurity.com had a picture of the 99 windstar and directions on how to get to the ignition cylinder and antenna ring, and it did!!! So goto the web site, click on Vehicle Wiring diagrams on the top left, then click on Ford, then select your car.  Scroll almost all the way down and it shows how to take apart your car and get to what you need to get to for your modification.

Once again good luck,

Frank 

djlayz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
ive tried the thing on how to get at the antenna ring but i couldnt get it off, any suggestions
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic