icon

Isobaric Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slipone 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

I actually have two questions. First question is general. Here is my equipment.

Pioneer PRS-X720

2 ch: (4 Ohm) 100Wx2 RMS
2 ch: (2 Ohm) 200Wx2 RMS
1 ch: (4 Ohm) 400Wx1 RMS

Two Rockford Fosgate P215S4

250 RMS / 500 Max @ 4ohms.

now, would it be possible to use this configuration by bridging my amp?

Isobaric Wiring -- posted image.

Now, to my isobarik question. I am thinking of this configuration

now i am under the assumption one speaker, the polarities are matched and the other speaker, they are reversed. now would this be possible if my first configuration is valid?

Need some professional pointers. Thanks.

Proudly stuffing large packages into small boxes since 1983.
slipone 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
sorry under impression the amp put out a 2ohm bridged load. lol. since it is a 4ohm load instead of 2 ohm, i should be alright.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Your wiring diagram appears to be correct.  But a two ohm load is way too low for bridging to a two channel amp.  Your option would be to wire each sub to a separate channel, where the reversal of polarity on one sub can be made as well.  I recommend highly that you put that two channel amp aside for other purposes and instead use a mono amp for this sub setup.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
slipone 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

ok well, the amp puts out 400wx1 at 4ohms. now doesnt an amp become mono when bridged? and all the equipment i own are as follows.

1 - Alpine SWR1241D DVC 12" Sub

2 - Rockford P215S4 SVC 15" Subs
2 - Rockford P3002 Amps
1 - Pioneer PRS-X720 Amp

i got the two rockford amps on the inside speakers and it works wonderfully and i have the alpine wired at 2ohms running off one of the channels which takes 200w at 2ohm stable. i wanted to change the setup.

which brings me to another question... do i have any other options in wiring the Alpine?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
Yes the diagram is correct. The issue here is the stability of your amplifier. Because the amplifier says "2 ohm stable" on the spec sheet, does not tell you how it is stable. Your amp is 2 ohm stereo stable and not 2 ohm mono stable. It is stable to 4 ohm mono only, thus with the subs you have, your only wiring options are either 2 ohm mono or 8 ohm mono. The safe bet here if you are going to use this amp, is to series wire the subs to 8 ohm mono, which means that the wiring diagram would then be incorrect. 8 ohm mono is the same as running the subs in 4 ohm stereo as Stevdart mentioned above.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that box very difficult to built and has to be to exact specs or it'll sound like poop?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that box very difficult to built and has to be to exact specs or it'll sound like poop?

"Poop" would be a kind word for it.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
This design was popular back in the late 80's, early 90's before rapid advances in speaker technology made this type of system obsolete. So I would add smelly to the descriptive context of aznboi's reply.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
slipone 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
lol, smelly poop. ok, advice taken. i just wanted to be a lil different. anyhow, wiring the speaker to 8ohms and putting it to the 4ohm mono load is ok, which was what i thought. now i would get more performance with that method rather than wiring the speaker 2ohms to one channel 200w @ 2ohms?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Wiring both subs to one channel is a no no...will make your amp a piece of poop...smelly too maybe.
Either 8 ohm mono or 4 ohm per channel...same output though.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic