icon

Fleece or Cotton?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

I never said i was presoaking my resin in little pans overnight like you would marinade a steak.  When you apply fiberglass mat, it needs to soak up the resin, otherwise you'll get air bubbles.  Fiberglass mat and resin have to work together.  Neither one byitself will be worth anything.  Its obvious you're just taking what everyone else says and basically attacking it, for what reason i'm not sure, i guess you get some kind of fix off of it.  I see no reason to counterpoint everything you wrote in that post, because theres a pretty good chance the guy that started this post doesn't even look at it anymore, and the point of which fabric to use has been beaten to death.  "To each his own" 

crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

sorry but NO mat does not need to sit in resin and soak it up...it is much, much, much stronger if applied with a little tiny bit of resin...by soaking a piece of mat in resin you stand a better chance of bubbles, as when you apply the now soaked piece it doesnt breath all that well, and like applying a vinyl sticker you get tiny little bubbles under it..

and i am not attacking anyone...i am just trying to make what is clearly a misunderstood art a little more clear...

if people want to run around making 100 pound fiberglass boxes for one and other i couldnt care less....i just find it funny that no one is willing to try a better proven technique and make their boxes that much better while saving boat loads of money, time and weight...

Fiberglass Guru.
ndm 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  

Where can I get the material that you use? I mean enough to do sub enclosure?  I would like to try your method. I am very interested in saving weight. and I would like to do a new enclosure for my subs.  I like the " build from behind method. Where you make your shape then build it up from the back to save on time and effort to finish the box.

do it right the first time ....or do it again and again and again...
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Well, if anyone is highly interesting in saving as much resin as possible, there is always VIP ( Vacuum Infusion Process).
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2006 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Well, check out the link in blue. It is highly effective if you want to pull off a really light and strong product because of the way in spreads the resin putting the maximum amount into the lamanite (fiberglass piece/object) without putting in too much or too little. The PDF link will explain it with illustrations and what not.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
For what its worth, I use grill cloth for my first base then build on that using matting. The grill cloth takes the resin just fine and give me a good platform to build off of, as well as its light as hell
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
If you are looking for something inbetween grill cloth and fleece, I like to use felt. Its cheaper than fleece and pretty stretchy. Its a decent first layer and doesnt soak up nearly as much resin as fleece.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat wrote:
For what its worth, I use grill cloth for my first base then build on that using matting. The grill cloth takes the resin just fine and give me a good platform to build off of, as well as its light as hell
Thank you ! I was waiting for someone to say that , I usually use something thats thin , takes shape, stretches and soaks resin ... right of the dollar bin @ wal- mart or Joanns.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
joann fabrics
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
For anyone is the Bay Area, the Walmart in Union City, CA has a very very very broad selection of fabrics.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic