icon

8W6 Door panel project pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
YOu can buy those foam cups that wrap around the back of the speaker. THey work great for the weather. Seriously, thats alot of speaker lol. Looks good for a foot rest 8W6 Door panel project pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

spookiestylez wrote:
maybe its just the pic but to me it looks like you might have to angle it up little more to get more clearance from that door sill, you'll want a little  play for the fleece and fiberglass. Good luck

exactly about having play, but I wasnt sure about angling the speaker.  I thought maybe just keep it the way it is and move the mount up about 1/4" or so.

What do you guys think should I angle the speaker upwards?

What I was going to do to get maximum volume for the box of the speaker without having clearence issues was to take 1''x1''x1'' wood to make a skeleton where I can fleece on that and make the biggest box possible to make the proper volume which is .375ft.cu. including driver displacement and bracing displacement.  Does this sound like a good plan?  I also plan on using pinto beans to measure the volume of the enclosure which I believe will work more efficiently than packing peanuts.

[/QUOTE]

I think the enclosure angled up a little bit would make it look alot better and possibly sound better that having it straight in, in my previous post I was  just making sure you have enough clearance for all the materials needed to complete the enclosure , cuz it didnt look have you had enough room. Good Luck on ya project.

rtfm
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

yea I was thinking about angling it in the begining but ended up not doing it, but if you guys back me up on the first idea than angle it is! haha.  I dunno about actually insetting the speaker though, that is a fairly good size hole to cut into my door!  lol.  But it is looking good, as soon as I get back home, I will get on top of framing a skeleton to give me my guidlines to create the best possible enclosure.  When I do that I will need some suggestions as I have a couple of ideas in my head, but are hard to explain verbally or in our case in writting haha.  We will see what you guys think actually looks the best.  Anywho thanks for all the compliments and encouragement.

o0o almost forgot haha you are probably right about the footrest comment . . . 8W6 Door panel project pics - Page 2 -- posted image. . . .

aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Hehe sorry I hope that didn't come out sounding bad, it's just with the speaker that big sticking that far out...All I can imagine a passanger doing is using it for a foot rest :)But hey, it looks like it's coming together ok and as long as your happy with it thats all that matters anyway.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  

haha nah man don't even trip potato chip I thought it was pretty funny, because the funniest things in life are the things that are true!  I will make sure that if anybody decides to use it as a footrest they either pay me for the material I use to cover the door in at the end, or I will just throw them the hell outta my car! lol.  But yea it is looking good so far and I think it will be nice at the end.  I seen your project on the front of that bug and it looks b***in!

I haven't quite gotten to the point of thinking about what I should use to cover my new door panels though.  Anybody have some suggestions in mind??

BTW I was going to ask, anybody know what a good deal on  5 gallon bucket of resin is, I had a guy tell me who would sell me a 5er for $150 when I though about it, it comes out to the same price if I buy the gallon bucket that I currently buy at OSH which is on the same block I live on, about 50 steps and I am in the door! lol

aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the comment it was a hell of a lot of work :)
Well I don't know about a 5 gallon drum. I know on average I pay about $30-$32 per gallon of the cheap Home Depot stuff so for me $150 wouldn't be much of a deal other then just getting it into one big can which can't be lite lol.
1968 VW Beetle
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i pay $30 at a boat supply store for a gallon, so $30 x 5 =150.  I probably wouldnt do it, just because a five gallon bucket would be pretty cumbersome.  Not to mention heavy, like aceracer24 said.
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Oh and as far as covering your panels...You might want to look into vinyl. It's thin and could help give it that stock look to match the rest of your interior. FOr ease of use you can go carpet but it's harder to clean the foot prints off of 8W6 Door panel project pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
1968 VW Beetle
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Yea I was thinking about vinyl, because I went into Joann's fabrics a couple days ago to find some fleece, and I found some really nice vinyls that they had for $7 a yard and I think 3 yards of it would cover all 4 and my headrests that I am re-doing.
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
I'm also interested in vinyl to cover my projects, since my car has vinyl seats.  But i'm wondering how much it will stretch to cover complex curves that can be made with fleece.  anyone worked with it before? 
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic