icon

8W6 Door panel project pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
always good to get the material heated up a lil that way when it cools, it will conform to the shape better.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

mustangfoo wrote:
yea I probably could do that sonata, but I think having it completely enclosed and not open to the elements is probably a better idea considering $135 a speaker.

I never said you couldnt build a box around it. Im using the foam baffles from crutchfield as my box for the subs in my door. I coated the outside with resin/bondo mix and now its quite solid and the sub is protected.

"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

you could always use expandable foam to help you build a fiberglass box around the sub on the back side if you choose to recess it in the door.

When using vinyl on areas with lots of curves, its best to send the extra money and get the stuff that is much higher quality and extra stretchy. I tried to wrap my kicks in high quality vinyl but there was just too many curves and it turned out like sh!t. I ended up using suede flocker on them. Turned out really nice.

"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

well I dont know what I will cover it with that was just an idea because of price and it looks very nice.

N-E-Ways here are a couple of pics 2 to freak some of u guys out.  I am currently having porblems getting the speaker mount not to move when stretching the fleece.  I opened another thread for some help on that but anybody that checks this one out if they can gimme some pointers it would be great.  I had done a kick panel with the same fleece and did not have a problem but darn it I am now.  Besides that heres a few pics.

Trying to get the mount stuck to the mdf and FG.

8W6 Door panel project pics - Page 3 -- posted image.

side shot.

And the rice I am using to calculate volume. it is about.4 cu. ft.! lol!!

aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
since you already have them hot glued, I suggest coating the base and top of the dowls with resin to firm them up. That or add more dowels.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  

true I could do that, but before I resort to that stage, I have used super glue with holes drilled and anchored the dowels into the mdf with 2 nails each dowel as a support between the two, and then hot glued around them.  I am about to go out and glue it to the FG and we shall see what comes out of it, if not I bought quick set mix glue to use also.

More pics to come in a lil bit, I need to get this glued up, and do some test fitting, as it was hitting the seat earlier, and also the fabric was sticking out too much either way and was hitting the seat when the door was closed.  Should be a nice result though, as the rice was perfect and the way I am going to adjust the final stretch should allow the rice to fill up correctly and to the rim.

mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  

ok guys, here are some updated pics.  I actually finally got the dowels to stay and not move even slightly with the way I described above.  So here are some updated pics.  I plan on adding some resin tonight, so tomorrow I should have some more pics.

pics of the SECOND covering.

filling with rice to check for proper volume.  All looks good.

After the THIRD and FINAL covering getting it correct! lol.

Hard to see, but on the door checking clearence.  All was good except one minor FG peak on the bottom which is easily taken care of.

Coming along good so far.  I need some $$$ for more resin so that I can get the other door started and up to this part.  After the box is made, I will be making an armrest and FG from the top to an appropriate spot.  I will be doing this to give the panel more of a 3-D type instead of just being flat with a FG speaker box.  lol.  From there I will put my aftermarket add on power window kit switch to the door.

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
That thing looks huge...I mean, huge to be on a door.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
haha it looks huge, because I use my camera phone that is only 1.3 megapixels so I have to take a pic just big enough to fit the panel in the pic or it comes out not so good.  It is gonna be sort of a PITA to get in and out of the back seat, but leg room, at least to me being 5'10'' doesnt really seem to have been compromised even though it is a fact that it has.  This is because of the way you are going to sit you are not gonna be putting your feet where the sub box is.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
I see.  Well, I am 6'5 and 305lbs.  I would have to sit in the front man, hahahahaha.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic