icon

8W6 Door panel project pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

haha that is for sure.  Besides in my car it isn't seniority, it's by height so the tallest gets to ride shotgun! lol

Anyway I just layed down a layer of FG and when it hit the area that were glued, it moved a lil bit not too much, shouldn't affect the end result, but it did effect how much sanding and bondo is gonna be needed! haha.  a lil more wrinkled then it was before but all is good.  Snaped some pics, and when it dries in about and hour or two I will snap some more pics and post them up.

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Nice, I wish we all had video cameras.  Get a live stream or something of a project.  It be fun to watch.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
haha I could take some video and upload it onto you tube.   Good idea, maybe later I will try and see wut happens. Only problem is that the phone only takes 30 sec at a time.  If I get my girlfriend to lend me her camera her brand new 2 gb memory card can take 1XXX (one thousand something) seconds worth of video lol.
ambitiousnewbie 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
quick question with covering circles, i understnad making them out of mdf and all that and making them so that the speaker is flush but when you fiberglass how to yu make the exposed corners around the rim of the speaker look rounded without affecting the fit and mounting of the speaker.....  I am new and just absorbing as much info before I post what I hope to do with my car
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

If I am understanding you correctly, you are talking about how you get the fabric cut off after you are finished without affecting the "roundness" of the inner cut?

If that is your question, then the answer to that is to use the flush cut bit of your router to trim off all the FG without affecting the circle cut prior.  What the flush cut bit is and does, is that it is like a normal straight cutting bit with a bearing at the bottom which allows you to say cut where the bearing rolls up against.  Hope this helps.  If any other questions just ask if I am not able to answer there are plenty of vets in here.

Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Surprisingly, these new cameras that are 8MP and stuff take some impressive video, with good compression
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thats looks good but I hope your runninga speaker grille , also I was wondering why you didn't pull the rest of the wrinkles out of the fleece ? Doesn't look like teh fleece I use actually doesn't look like fleece at all , all the fleece I've used has never gotten strands in the ends where cut . Just tryign you help you out thats just gonna make more sanding work for you in the end .
Other then that cant wait to see it done
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  

yea lol, you should see it now, I might have to tak it off, because when I resined the fleece it came slightly unglued and moved and now I have a clearence issue with the seat.  I saw some better fleece at Joanns the other day, I got this one at Wal-Mart as it was the only and best thing they had.

As for grills I plan to make a custom grill, for sure as the backseat is smaller and the way the speaker is angled, I will try to get a few pics up before I take off the fleece and re fleece and resin it.

Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Did you man handle it to remove it, or shear it off?
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

no it only has one layer of resin and some mat, should be easy pickin.

The project is on hold for now until I get some more funds.

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic