Plexiglas roof idea

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
sawhit4 wrote:

I think with the spaced wire thing he means getting some round solid stock (round bar) and bending it to an arc shape, welding to a flat peice, and then repeating the process making smaller arcs to form the shape.  Much like a rib cage.  Atleast thats what it sounds like.  That idea would also work.  And would be faster, atleast for someone who knows how to weld. 

That was exactly what I meant.

Turtleturtle:

I am leaving work soon, should be home in a hour.  It is 4:10PM PST.  Once I get in, I will start on the sketch thing, unless some unexplainable happens like, being abducted "4400" style.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
turtleturtle 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
Okay. :)
"...am I not Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?"
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
yeah theres pros and cons to wood or metal.  Metal will be more expensive, unless you can find a metal supplier that will sell you large ammounts at low price.  If you buy from some place like home depot they will sell you a 5 foot section for like $6, where as you could get a 10 foot section for that price from someone else.  Metal also takes some experience to work with.  You'll also have to get pretty creative with bending methods to make pretty perfect bends.  You'll want to be able to make the exact same bend twice.  If you can find someone with a cutting torch you could heat the metal to make it easier to get pefect bends.  You dont by any chance live in mississippi?  This would be a perfect project for the welding class i take.
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  
Still waiting for those diagrams....
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  
Still waiting for those diagrams....
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

lol so this is in the fiberglass section and no one thought ot suggest he build the mold out of fiberglass..creat a wooden skeleton, similar to what you would build if your creating a new dash for your car, fill in the ribs, and then the cross ribs for support and your set...use a jig / clamps to make sure each rib in the corresponding place on opposite sides of the car is identical and you should have no problems with this..you may want to already have the metal support bar and hinges in place so that things will line up just spiffy..

Wood is cheaper and eaiser to work with in terms of exact copies of pieces...plus like steel you can create what ever shape you want with the wood and then cover it with fiberglass...this way you end up with nice smooth bends and identical parts..

http://http://www.stevebrownuniversity.com/links/links.aspx <---So check out this link to steve browns BMW X5 build...more notabley the rear hatch...original doors were welded together i believe then fiberglassed to shape and then sent off to have a piece of plexi copied of it..

Fiberglass Guru.
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Um, page can not be found....
This is all that showed up. \/
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try the following:
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
crazyoldcougar wrote:

lol so this is in the fiberglass section and no one thought ot suggest he build the mold out of fiberglass..creat a wooden skeleton, similar to what you would build if your creating a new dash for your car, fill in the ribs, and then the cross ribs for support and your set...use a jig / clamps to make sure each rib in the corresponding place on opposite sides of the car is identical and you should have no problems with this..you may want to already have the metal support bar and hinges in place so that things will line up just spiffy..

Wood is cheaper and eaiser to work with in terms of exact copies of pieces...plus like steel you can create what ever shape you want with the wood and then cover it with fiberglass...this way you end up with nice smooth bends and identical parts..

http://http://www.stevebrownuniversity.com/links/links.aspx <---So check out this link to steve browns BMW X5 build...more notabley the rear hatch...original doors were welded together i believe then fiberglassed to shape and then sent off to have a piece of plexi copied of it..

Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

Well, if you notice in plain view on the link itself, "http://" is in there twice, back to back.  Remove the extra "http://" and it will work....

http://www.stevebrownuniversity.com/links/links.aspx

....Common mistake.

General Turtleturle, my apologies sir, the platoon was ambused after I was relieved from work Friday afternoon and I was rerouted into chaos for the rest of weekend.  Not many survivors but I will continue my mission and finish working on the sketches for the roof after work today.  I have not forgotten what I said I would do.

The crazy thing is, I had to stop by my friend's autoshop out in San Francisco on Saturday morning.  I come in and he has two, not one, but TWO Karmann Ghia's there in the shop.  So I got to see what you are working with, up close and personal.  Except they were not convertibles.

Would you like to shape the roof similar to the orginal factory look?  Just curious.

What city/state are you in by the way?

When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I would like the roof simular to the shape of the original, just plexuglas. Oh, and the plexiglas hatch
Plexiglas roof idea - Page 4 -- posted image.
Plexiglas roof idea - Page 4 -- posted image.
is hot!!!
I am in Corpus Christi, in Texas.
I am calling Steven Brown about my Plexiglas roof and seeing if he can help out
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
crazyoldcougar wrote:

lol so this is in the fiberglass section and no one thought ot suggest he build the mold out of fiberglass.

I have thought of that, I have had even more ideas.  My problem is, the cost of my ideas, are often above the person's budget, so I have to tone it down a bit.

One of the simplest things to do, is let www.emachineshop.com do the work, all you would do is just design a 3d model of it using free CAD software provided by them, design it, get a quote for it, pay for it, and have it sent to you.

Not sure of everyone's budget, so I lean towards the DIY coalition most of the time.  The only thing you really pay with, is time.

Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic