icon

Plexiglas roof idea

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

LOL, alright, I have a better idea of your car now, knowing all that.  I did not know you had already begun or had work done to it on that level.

My checklist of design so far...

• When it is raining, you will attach the roof, and the roof will also cover both passenger and driver side window areas.
  • The part that goes near your window(s) sill will have to have rubber weathering lining. 
  • The part that connects to the rear top of your from windshield will also have to have rubber weathering lining.
  • The motor that will lift your roof up when the remote is activated will sit behind the front seats.
  • When the roof is removed, the motor will stay in place without moving it's position.
  • There will be latch locations through the car to secure the roof when driving.
  • Although plexiglass, the roof will have a similar look to the factory style.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
turtleturtle 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
  • When it is raining, you will attach the roof, and the roof will also cover both passenger and driver side window areas.
  • Yes, exactly.
  • The part that goes near your window(s) sill will have to have rubber weathering lining. 
  • Yes, the rubber weather lining will be attached to the plexiroof.
  • The part that connects to the rear top of your from windshield will also have to have rubber weathering lining.
  • Yes, the stripping will go down the center, on each side of the plexiroof.
  • The motor that will lift your roof up when the remote is activated will sit behind the front seats.
  • The motor will have to be in where the head rests sit.
  • When the roof is removed, the motor will stay in place without moving it's position.
  • No, the motor, plexiroof, and the support beam will all come off in one piece.
  • There will be latch locations through the car to secure the roof when driving.
  • Yes, exactly.
  • Although plexiglass, the roof will have a similar look to the factory style.
  • Very simular. Only thing that is different is the rear, which is about 4 inches shorts than the original roof.
"...am I not Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?"
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, I feel like an engineer on Monster Garage. lol

Alright, I will take all of that into account.  My net was down all yesterday and even this morning when I left for work.  Comcast pee-zez me off when they have service interruptions in my area.  If I were getting paid to do this, I would be losing money by not have an internet connection to communicate through.

Hopefully it will be up when I get off today.

There is a cool application I have started using lately for design layout and concepts, called SketchUp.  It is, well, just hella cool. Check out the site for it when you get a chance.

When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Oh damn, a real important question I forgot to ask, how thick should the plexiglass be?  Will it vary throughout various parts of the assembly.
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
The plexiglass does not to be thick. My plexiglass windshield it 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick(?) and I have never had problems.
I also had another idea, but I want to see where this pleiroof idea is going. I like it. :)
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2006 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
Still waiting for those drawings....
the rah 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

dude!!!!!

the best thing you can do is put a plan together and go with it and dont be scared buttttttttttttttt

i think you should put some kind of frame together first then plex that

holla!!!!!

rah2son
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2006 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Plexiglas roof idea - Page 6 -- posted image.
Sorry for the crappy picture. Photobucket sucks hard core.
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2006 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

Yea, definately try and post a large image.

Never been too big a fan of photobucket, I use www.imageshack.us for all my images.

turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2006 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
I will try, but I am getting wized at this thing! :( :( :(
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic