icon

lookin for a good sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
I will probably put it in a ported enclosure. I want to squeeze every ounce out of this because there is only one. It has been my experience that JL's SQ does not suffer that much when they are ported. My last setup had 3 JL 12 w3's and I miss it dearly. I purchased Infinity reference components for the front and coaxials for the rear doors so I can have a clean full sound. I am also going to strip my interior and lay brown bread sound dampner through the whole truck to seal the bass in tight.
donkason 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
I am trying to think of the best way to angle the sub. I am going to flip and fold up one of my seats and put the box behind it. There are 2 different ways I could do it. One is with the sub facing the roof of the cab and the other is with the sub facing the back of the cab. If I did it facing the back of the cab there would only be about 3-4 inches of space between the sub and the rear wall. If I did it facing towards the roof I could angle the sub to face towards the rear of the cab. Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to either configurations? What do you guys think?
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

That all depends on your vehicle and enclosure.  Sometimes cancelling becomes a problem with one direction instead of another.  I think you'd probably be better off to have it facing backwards and 3 to 4 inches should be fine.  Facing up tends to have more cancellation problems in most vehicles from what I've seen.  There is only one way to know for sure though and that's to try both.

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

While were on the subject, has anyone else witnessed and hear what Volfenhag's sound like.  My older brother had two of them in his expedition, 12 inchs, they sounded pretty good, and they have such a low price, but that was back before I got really into car audio (late 2003).

Would anyone recommend them in a serious setup?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
slipone 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Would it be better to face the subs forward into the car or backwards toward the rear?

Proudly stuffing large packages into small boxes since 1983.
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
I had the magnets fall off a pair of volfenhag... well the magnets and the whole motor structure just separated from the basket...   So I wouldn't use them in a serious setup.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

Damn, it was german engineered too.  Was it a used subwoofer?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I used to carry Volefnhag when I had my shop running, For an entry level product I liked them alot.   The protection curcuits would prevent people from re-wiring what I had done and blowing up the equipment.   The 4 channel amps are a little overrated but they are quite clean for a cheap price.
The (high end subs) actually were very very loud and somewhat clean when powerd by a good amp.
we did a drop in test with one volfenhag 12 vs 1 w6v2 with both in a custom box designed to spec, both of them on a old rockford 800.2
the volfenhag actually got over a full db louder, but was not as clean as the JL.   But for the normal listener they would not have noticed the diffrence.
If I remember the boxes right both were around 1.8 cu ft tuned to 38 hz with a slot port.   The JL got lower and alot tighter response, so I would deam the volfenhag as a (rap) sub.    
I didnt do any long term testing for myself, but I do know both setups are still running to this day, slightly 4 years after the install date, with all orignal equipment.
As far as the kicker box goes, I cant remember the exact specs but I have been playing with it quite often and came out with
3.35-3.65 cu ft internal before displacement
2.25 x 13.25 x 24 slot port
1 kicker L7 now powered by 1 kicker kx1200.1
144.6db term lab at 41 hz    
will remain very tight for music like NIN, and get very low for rap.   The box still prefers lower notes as I dont have the response completly level yet, but I might work on it some more soon
I am really tempted to see what we can come up with with 2 subs in 2 boxes and 2 kx1200's
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
donkason 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Also, I noticed that JL's instruction manual says to use a slotted port. Is there a advantage by using this as opposed to cutting a hole out and using plastic pipe?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have found that when using a slot port over a round port, there is less noise, espically over just a piece of round pipe.   and a much smother response.
The only way to properly have a round port in my opionion is to use a percision port or sero port which have tapered ends.    besides that I only use slot ports
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic