how to attach dowels to MDF & FG

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

you have to let the glue dry first...LOL

but honestly...you dowels are too vertical....put them at slight angles to the ring...cause it is not the force of you trying to pull the fabric down that is causing it break free it is the force from side to side as you try to wrap the fabric that is breaking the glue...set the dowels up like a tri-pod as opposed to a hydropole and you will be much better off...if this dosent work use thinner more stretchy material, it is a door pod correct, you should be using panty hose for your initial stretch then...

i am still not sure why every one wants to add boat loads of weight to the project by using fleece, or some other heavy material...it does look like your using a grill cloth of some sort though...but you still may want to try pantyhose anyway...that is what i pretty much build everyone on my pods with, and if i can usse it on a box i will too...best material out there...you hardly have to glue it, it is light as air, and serves its purpose..

and typically the dowels are broken out after the first layer or two of resin has cured, so drilling "divots" into the panels is not really the best idea in my opinion.also i would have used much thinner dowels those things look like they are 1/2" thick..

Fiberglass Guru.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

Nice work around, glad you got it to work.

Keep up posted, don't forget to take shots of it as you glass.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic