icon

what do you think of these brands?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigwest4085 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
yes it sounds really clear and everything.. make sure you have a ported box though... but how much do you wanna spend on a subwooofer?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
bigwest4085 wrote:
yes it sounds really clear and everything.. make sure you have a ported box though... but how much do you wanna spend on a subwooofer?
A ported enclosure will NEVER sound as tight as a properly constructed sealed box... I think you have never heard a proper subwoofer if you are of the opinion that those products, in a vented enclosure, could EVER sound good.
"really clear and everything.."? Come sit in my car with 2000+ watts driving a single Eclipse Ti12 in a sealed enclosure. That is the DEFINITION of deep, controlled and musical bass...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmac279 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
bigwest4085 wrote:
A ported enclosure will NEVER sound as tight as a properly constructed sealed box... I think you have never heard a proper subwoofer if you are of the opinion that those products, in a vented enclosure, could EVER sound good.
"really clear and everything.."? Come sit in my car with 2000+ watts driving a single Eclipse Ti12 in a sealed enclosure. That is the DEFINITION of deep, controlled and musical bass...
The majority of home theater speakers are ported and I think you'd have a difficult time proving that they're not "clear and everything" ...  A properly constructed and designed ported enclosure can sound every bit as good as a properly constructed and designed sealed enclosure ...
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
The majority of home theater speaker systems are designed to target the "mass-market", home theater crowd, and are definitely NOT audiophile. They are louder, (by design) and the human condition is to BELIEVE that "louder is better"... It isn't. You're right, I won't be able to prove to the average guy, buying generally publicly acceptable "home theater" speakers that they AREN'T "clear and everything", because of this fact.
I have heard very fine vented enclosures, I never said I hadn't. However, a sealed enclosure is MOST agreeable to more true high-end afficionados than a vented enclosure... Also, GOOD vented enclosures are exceptionally difficult to design correctly, and when not designed correctly you will end up with the "louder is better" phenomenon again. Also from past experiences, they don't often exist in the car.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
There is a great difference in cabin, or room, gain when you are making a comparison of car audio to HT audio.  The gain is phenomenal in a car and barely present in an HT room.  This is a factor in why a vented sub system may work perfectly well in a room but lose its precision in a car.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry haemphyst but you just got burned by steve here. lol
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  
No dude, you read that wrong.  I can't burn da Man.  I learn from him every day.  That was an agreeance type of thing.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
Oh well....it is all very informative...I don't think I know of anyone or anything that can match all the knowledge of audio stuff and more than the people here.
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2006 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
Soundsteam still makes some quality products. They used to be great but they have changed hands and it looks like they are targeting the bling bling entry level market. They still make some great products but the good stuff is quite expensive but IMO it is worth it.
raulbustos 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2006 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  

okay well i found a little problem they have some kind of a teritory restriction on the sound stream and i guess i cant order them from my state so any others brands that you guys have used that you would recomend either for a sub or for an amp

Raul
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic