icon

6 12's in a fiberglass box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
highridindodge 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
I am building a box for 6 kicker comp vr 12's. It is 14.25 ft.^3 . I was wondering if anyone could help me with the port size. i planned on using 2 and want it to be tuned to around 33 hz. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Also i was wondering if anyone has used any alphasonik amps, and opinions on them.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
I would go sealed and cut your box down by half.
just my 2 cents . . .
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
I second that...over 14 ft cubed is massive....with 6 12's a sealed box is more than enough.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
I would never put that many subs into 1 box with a shared chamber anyways. At the most I would do 2 per box. you could make it all look like 1 box.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
aznboi3644 
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Actually good point sonata...this setup would prolly sound a LOT better if the box was separated into separate chambers. BUT...if he made 3 different chambers it would be quite difficult to get each to have the exact same air volume cuz this is a fiberglass project...meaning if they aren't all the same the subs will different in each chamber equalling the sound of poop.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
actually depending on the setup, 3 different ported boxes tuned to 3 different frequencies could sound pretty nice if they are runnning off of 3 seperate amps. But you are right, it is best to keep everything the same. That would be something id love to try out. 3 diff boxes all in the same car. makes me wish i was rich and buy a test car and a crapload of subs.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
aznboi3644 
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
We all wish we were rich...*dreams and then comes back to reality*...damnit but most of us aren't haha
rdaudio 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
common chamber is fine if your are going to use it for spl. are you using one big amp? if you are using more than one it becomes complex you have to match the voltage of the amps or you will destroys your woofers and keep checking them every week or so depending one how much you use them. as far as the port goes why not call kicker? they will help you. otherwise you can use a box program
Revolution Design Audio
rdaudio 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
also on most woofers when you tune a box as low as 33hz the woofers power handleing goes down a bit.
Revolution Design Audio
highridindodge 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
I am using 1 big amp, I thought about keeping it sealed but i'm really going for spl so it needs to be ported. I was just hoping that maybe someone on here had a box building program and could help me out. Thanks for the replies.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic