icon

Using the Factory radio turn on lead

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

Is there any reason that I could not use the factory ignition turn on, on the factory H/U with a relay for the amp turn on lead? Instead of trying to find an ignition lead in the ignition harness?

This is for a 2006 F-150 Crewcab

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2006 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
some one throw me a bone here, does that deck turn on through data or does it have an ignition line? If it just has an ignition or accessory line and you are just hooking up a single amp than you dont even need a relay, just a fuse on the line and your good to go.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
gavin9797 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2006 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you for the quick reply, I will wait till someone gives you that bone.. if it is just a wire lead for turn on do I just solder or splice a wire into that line add a fuse and run it to the amp? (yes just a single amp by the way). Splicing that wire won't set off any codes in the computer, bring up dash lights etc?

If it is a Data line then my options would be?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  

If it is a data line you are best sourcing the ignition line at the main ignition harness. This line must be fused at the front near the connection to the main line. A 3 amp fuse is more than enough. What does the factory harness look like. Go to www.installdr.com to see if it is listed there or www.scosche.com to see if they list a proper harness for your vehicle. This should tell us what the harness really is.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
I can't beleive I don't remember this vehicle, I must be getting old, tired or both.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Another problem without a relay is when the deck receives ignition power (i.e. whenver the key is turned) even if hte deck is off the amp will be on.you will probably have the gains sort of high and they will pick up electromagnetic interference from the subs magnets (hence. that annoying humming sound you get when you turn a factory deck off running subs). your best bet would be find a remote output (antenna power up or amp turn on wire) most fords should have this and would solve any of those problems
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

Rob its ok, im not as old as you and I cant remember either so I think it must be a Canadian thing. As for the other issue, most times when I run high level the gain on the amp is set extremly low and I never run into said interference.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
gavin9797 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  

OK, according to www.scosche.com the wire harness for a 2003 and up F-150 is either a FD23B, or FD23R. Is that help to anyone?

The link just goes to scosche, if you want the link to the actual page let me know I will send it.

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
I just looked at it and you can just use the ignition lead in the head unit harness with no complications
gavin9797 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

OK sounds good. Just to double check.. Is the ignition lead pink and black? and am I just splicing into it with my remote wire or  using a relay? Someone mentioned a 3a inline fuse, that is sufficient?

Thankyou everyone for your help....again!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic