the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

My IDQ broke, pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

Stupid design on their part... At first the tinsel lead broke away form the binding post which was fixable, but now the lead has come away from the damn cone! Upon closer inspection all the points on all of the leads are begining to fray. I have a funny feeling my other woofer may share the same illness, but not having any sub section blows.

Ahh, the joy of shipping woofers 

My IDQ broke, pics - Last Post -- posted image.

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Those are super tiny pictures, damn near like thumbnails. You able to retake them and post again?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
You could probably fix those yourself. Strip a little, solder, then put a tiny bead of hot glue on the joint to keep things from unraveling in the future.
Hope all is well!
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
You could probably fix those yourself. Strip a little, solder, then put a tiny bead of hot glue on the joint to keep things from unraveling in the future.
Hope all is well!

I am very hesitant to solder the one that came off the cone, there is very little room in there.

Like wise, good to see you are back, for the moment! 

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Tinsel lead length is usually set to a certain length beyond the designed excursion for the subwoofer.  So if you were able to break the leads, you most likely were pushing the sub too hard.  If it's in a ported enclosure, make sure you have a subsonic filter to prevent the sub from unloading down low. 
dwarren 
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

They are in a sealed enclosure, 1.5 cu ft each.

I thought that may be case, or even a bad amp, but when I looked closely at the joints of all the leads, they all looked the same, right at the joint, the plastic casing over the wire had cracked and looked stressed. I don't believe it is due to over excursion, particularly with ID's questionable build reputation.

bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

That is very common with those subs. I had a pair and the leads would break a lot.

After about 6 or 7 times that I fix them. I got tired and replaced them with ones that came out of a cheap set of subs(a pair of American Pro subs) and haven't had any more trouble with them. 

They are in my brother's car now.

ieSpell rocks.
dwarren 
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
bdl666 wrote:

That is very common with those subs. I had a pair and the leads would break a lot.

After about 6 or 7 times that I fix them. I got tired and replaced them with ones that came out of a cheap set of subs(a pair of American Pro subs) and haven't had any more trouble with them. 

They are in my brother's car now.

How did you deal with soldering to the cone? I just don't think I could make the angle.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

kfr01 wrote:
Hope all is well!

I am very hesitant to solder the one that came off the cone, there is very little room in there.

Like wise, good to see you are back, for the moment!

Add a little jumper's worth of extra speaker wire if you don't want to pay or wait out the repair. As long as you don't add too much (such that it is flopping around) it shouldn't affect the sound. I'm serious about the tiny bead of hot glue on the ones that haven't broken yet.
And thanks for the welcome back. The wife and I bought a home built in 1936 and it has been taking my free time. Well, that and my recent focus on home audio. :-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2006 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

I removed the dustcap and soldered the new leads to the wires going to the voicecoil under the cap. Then is just a matter of gluing them to the cone (use some sort of flexible glue for this) and reattaching the dustcap.

ieSpell rocks.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic