icon

Unnecessary loudness ticket?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ummm ok so i was driving around on a 2 lane road and was in the right lane going slow like I always do, and This guy to the left of me turns left, but before he turned I passed him (who wouldnt).   Soooo I got a ticket for passing on the right, and apparently my 12" Infinitys were toooo loud (yeahhhh right) and I got a unneccisary loudness ticked it was like 225 (music) and 75(right pass).   
total is 318 after tax. Now my question for all you pros is , do you know if there is a legal limit (i heard before it was 140db (which clearly I am below). But he said it was "his descretion," I kindly told him I'd see him in court. he said good day.
I live in CT. Is there a law? and how the hell would the limit be measured? I have a cop friend im asking tomorrow, but i am wondering if this happened to anyone else..
ps, best part is it was about 75% volumeUnnecessary loudness ticket? -- posted image.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
You have to check with your town(or the town you were in) to see if there is a noise ordinance.
Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Most places have a limit on how far you can be heard. I kow on military bases if you can be heard more than 25 feet you can get a ticket. Yes I said 25 feet, which most stock cars can be heard.
Either way I think people in general with other than stock systems need to be more polite when they are in a town area. This is just my opinion.
I also have had a very large system in my car and nobody that lived around me knew I had it. If I was playing it loud on the road and we stopped at a red light and someone pulled up next to me I would be curtious and turn it down until they were gone.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
i know here in minnesota its if you can even hear it outside the vehicleUnnecessary loudness ticket? -- posted image. . but you'd have to get one lame cop who would give you a ticket if he could barely hear it outside the car.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
Ticket deserved. Don't waste anyone's time going to court. Play the system responsably in the future please. I ask all of my customers for this common courtesy.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 5:32 AM / IP Logged  
Go to the hearing, I say.  You have that right, and there's always a good chance of leniency and a reduction in fines or points.  The judge should hear your side of the story before you agree to the charges by simply paying the fine imposed.  It seems to me that I've had to do that twice, and both times the points were dropped simply because I showed up to defend myself.  I didn't get a reduction in fines in either case, but your fine for the excessive loudness seems excessive itself.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Go to the hearing, I say.  You have that right, and there's always a good chance of leniency and a reduction in fines or points.  The judge should hear your side of the story before you agree to the charges by simply paying the fine imposed.  It seems to me that I've had to do that twice, and both times the points were dropped simply because I showed up to defend myself.  I didn't get a reduction in fines in either case, but your fine for the excessive loudness seems excessive itself.
I agree with you stevdart, but, you took it like a man and took you punishment. Just hope you have learnedUnnecessary loudness ticket? -- posted image. Unnecessary loudness ticket? -- posted image.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

Most city's and counties have ordinances for "noise violations". It is always at the officers discretion, although the fines seem excessive. I would have to say they were probably right at 3/4 volume it was more than likely  too loud. From talking to officers in my neck of the woods if they can hear it at 25-30 feet, its to loud and they issue a warning or $50 ticket, if they catch you again they give you a $180 spankin'      the third time shoot on sight. haha.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
If the fine was $20.00 do you think it would be much of a deterrent? The idea behind the fine is the deterrent. Can pay the fine, don't do the crime.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
I know here in my town its only 90Db. thats damn low. plus, the 3rd time you get ticketed for it they confinscate (sp?) all of the audio equipment.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic