icon

Alarm wiring diagram 2003 Jetta

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Bmlime 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2003 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
I need to know the wiring diagram for a 2003 VW Jetta.I have a few problems with the lock and unlock,I think it goes into sleep mode after you arm it for more then ten seconds any suggestions. Also the horn beeps.If any one knows anything about these german cars let me know it would be helpful
bmlime
rte3tdi 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

All VWs sold in the US come with standard keyless entry and factory anti-theft system.  I have a 2002 Jetta and, as far as I know, it is the same as the 2003.

When you press the "lock" button in your remote (or when you turn the key on the door) the parking lights will blink once and the buzzer (it is a high-pitched "beep" sound, louder inside the car) will make a brief noise once.  When you press the "unlock" button on your remote (or when you turn the key on the door) the lights will flash a few times, disarming the system.  The regular car horn should never beep (that is a lower tone outside the car).

Also, if you unlock the car but you do not open any doors, the car will lock again after 30 sec or so, the lights will flash once, and the buzzer will beep once, as if you had pressed the lock button again.

Now ... your post was not specific as to whether you are having problems with the factory system or with an aftermarket alarm system.  Since your car is less than a year old, if you have any doubts, you may want to contact your dealer about the malfunction.  If it is an aftermarket system, installed by a professional, you may want to see them and explain the problem.  If you installed it yourself, we will need more details about what is happening.

Bmlime 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
 I have a problem with the aftermarket system. I now believe the installer blew up my drivers door module because my drivers door lock will not lock with the factory remote or the button inside. My problem is and I don't know if it is related to the module but my system goes into sleep mode after about 10 sec.You can't open the doors with the aftermarket viper alarm.You first have to use the factory remote to wake up the system then use the Viper remote..Please let me know your suggestions..
bmlime
rte3tdi 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
When you start driving, do the doors lock after you reach 8mph?
Bmlime 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yes except the drivers door
bmlime
rte3tdi 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

Then I would go up to the aftermarket alarm installer and point out he/she interfered with the operation of the driver's door lock module.  If you go back to the dealer, they will probably not honor your warranty, since the vehicle has been modified.

I am also confused about the statement "goes into sleep mode".  If the Viper alarm is in "sleep" mode, is it still protecting the car?  If it is not, then it is really not doing anything other than annoying your life ...

The operation you described doesn't sound right.  You shouldn't have to use two remotes in that sequence.  It sounds like this was a hack job.  By the way, may I ask what is there to gain by adding a second alarm?  The factory one will prevent the vehicle from being started.  Are you looking for additional triggers (glass sensors, motion sensors, etc)?  Are you looking for a louder buzzer (since the factory one is loud inside, but moderate outside)? You already have anti-theft, keyless entry, and an alarm from the factory ...

themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

rte, factory alarms are great in being allready in the car. The problem lies in range, factory keyless works at most up to 30feet. A new viper, 1000ft+

Bmlime 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

I was interested in the remote start basically they just keep giving me a new one when I switch vehicles for free so why buy something else.In the alarm system again.The viper doesn't go into sleep mode it is the factory system they goes to sleep mode when you try to open the doors.The viper remote will not work at all just the factory one.The viper alarm disarms including the factory one but the doors remain locked.Do you think a blown driver module would cause the viper keyless entry not to work properly??And cause it not to open the doors.The installer which are reputable in my area had nothing really to go by there is no exact wire diagram for a 2003 if you can find one for me e-mail it to me.   So what do now is when i remote start you have to manually unlock the car with a key it doesn't unlock with the viper remote.If you arm the car the doors lock except the drivers door After ten seconds you can disarm the alarm but the doors remain locked understand If you have any idea or if you think the module is screwing this up  let me know?

bmlime
rte3tdi 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 5:30 AM / IP Logged  
First, I did not realize this was a remote starter. I thought it was just an alarm and I missed the motivation.
In this case, since you have to disable the factory alarm by using its remote, you have not gained any
range (you still need to go within 30 ft to "wake up" the Viper). What you do have is the remote start,
which is nice.
Second, yes, I do have the factory manual for the car (published by Robert Bentley, Inc.) and it is thicker than
the yellow pages phone book. The wiring schematics take at least 200 pages. There is no "1 page summary"
that I would copy/fax to you that is similar to what you find on some of these forums. I am not sure if any of the
online wiring diagram services have the wiring for these cars in tabular form.
My guess is that the installer wanted to send a signal to the factory alarm saying "disarm", so that the Viper
could start the car. Unfortunately, such a signal also unlocks the doors. What he probably did was disconnect
the driver's door power door lock motor and make the Viper sleep while the factory alarm is set. In order
to start the car, you need to disable the factory alarm, since it is part of the engine ECU (In 2002, there were
three different ECU systems: one for the Diesels, one for the 2.0, and one for the 1.8T/2.8VR6, I am assuming
2003 are not any different). The problem he/she probably faced was that in order to disable the factory
alarm, a signal has to go to the ECU saying "unlock doors". The first pulse unlocks the driver's door, the
second one the rest of the doors. This is probably why he/she disabled the motor, so that when you unlock
the car using the factory alarm, you don't end up unlocking the driver's door.
Next question, when you unlock the doors using the Viper remote, does the driver's door unlock? A potential
solution is to use a relay so that the driver's power door lock motor only works when the Viper is trying to
unlock the car. That way, when the factory alarm is disabled, you will not unlock the doors, but when the
Viper tries to unlock the car, it can. This may be a practical compromise, given the factory configuration.
IF this is indeed how it is wired, there is one more thing that can be done: change the logic in the relay so
that the power door lock module is ALWAYS available to the factory ECU (that way you can do the lock/
unlock features as they were intended from the factory) and have the relay DISABLE the power door
lock motor when the Viper sends a signal to the ECU to disable the factory alar
Bmlime 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

I have an update.Here it goes. I start my car with the 550 esp viper I go to unlock my doors using the viper remote they all open.OK. Next I don't remote start my vehicle,it is not running I go to open my doors with the viper remote.They don't open.But the alarm disarms.OK. My doors always lock with the viper keypad remote.The only problem I encounter is that when you try to open the doors when the car is not running they don't open at all with the viper remote.It is like my factory alarms door lock are asleep to save energy and the viper doesn't understand.The only way you can open the doors with the viper is to wake up the system with the factory remote by hitting lock the using the viper remote the will unlock. Somehow I think a pulse needs to be sent to wake up the system..

Let me know if this makes any sense I think this is a new problem with the 2003 models.By the way I have a 1.8T Tiptronic and the color of the wires from the module are yellow blue stripe and yellow green stripe..The module is being looked at by volkswagen service tommorrow .

bmlime
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic