icon

12w7 Sealed Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
I was just wondering if anyone has had success with a sealed enclosure for the 12w7 other than what JL recommends.
Thanks, Let me know!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
Built a fiberglass sealed enclosure in the spare tire well of a range rover that was built to spec firing up. Sounded great. Ran it with a JL 500/1.
There is no such thing as free installation!
coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to run a 500/1 as well. So your box was the recommended volume? Probably a safe bet
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

In the range from 1.375 to 1.75 net cubic feet.  It looks like they are showing displacement of the driver at 0.14 cu ft with it mounted to a 1" face baffle (as recommended).  Add a little to the driver displacement if the face is 3/4".  Very nice SQ response.  I favor the 1.75 cu ft volume.

12w7.jpg

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  
You are right, 1.75 looks better between those 2.
What did WinISD throw out when you input driver specs. or did you have it in your database already
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 5:20 AM / IP Logged  
It was preloaded in the database...I just checked the parameters against the published data.  There's a whole lot of room for play (going to larger sizing) with this sub, so you can make it fit any car audio application as long as you've got a minimum of 1.375 ft^3.  But IIRC, F3 still isn't going to end up below 40 Hz even with massive box sizes.  The important thing though, and the reason this sub will sound good, is that the curve is a sealed box slope and will hit into the lower octave in the audible range; and that the higher octave response is flat with no peaking.  The difference between the highs and lows is minimal..
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
How would one make F3 lower?
coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
buy a 13w7?   =)
stevdart 
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
This is made for a car.  It's a good sub.  Enjoy it!
coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
I'm really excited to get it.
12w7 owners, let me know if you think of anything else i should know!
Thanks again
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic