icon

keypad under hood, oddball?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skinner21 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
 I have shaved the doors on my car and installed door poppers and I want to put a keypad under the hood (it is an old car that you can get under the hood with out getting in the car)  that would run on a secondary 12 volt gell cell battery so if I am ever locked out or my battery goes dead I will be able to key in a code and pop my doors open.   I first thought of salvageing a keypad off of an older lincoln but then I would probably have to have some sort of bcm soooo I guess my question is do any of you guys that are in this business know of a key pad that would work.  all I need it to do is switch 12 volts on  by entering a code.
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Asianwolf has a starter kill keypad, maybe something like that, but do not I repeat DO NOT order from them!!!
skinner21 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok then tell me where to get one and when activated does a starter kill key pad send a 12 volt pulse or a ground pulse or what...   I need to know how they work cause i am a rookie at this I just get ideas and sometimes they work and sometimes they dont
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you're looking for a premade item, but
there's an IC chip that you can use to make your own keypad circuit pretty easily, combination would be hardwired. It has four lines that need to be keyed in sequence, but you can wire it with as many buttons as you like to make it impossible to crack, by wiring them to the reset line.
Have to look up the part number for it; I have a bunch stashed away when I used it for a starter kill circuit a long while ago.
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
just a though......... how about those small keypads liek ti unlock doors and such.
also check this out, thsi is for if you lock your keys in the car you just tap on your window with a code u make up an dit will unlock your doors.
here
swamprat323 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
for a note.... i showed this to some one before, they said they did not liek it. he said what if some found out my code and they can steal my stero............Well one you dont tell any one that you have it, aslo you can change the code anythime you want.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Neat idea. Seems like it might be difficult to hide from someone watching you though. Probably would be good for emergency use though, where you could change the code if there was anyone around to see you using it.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
The keypad idea is a cool one, and it sounds like a fun project, but don't forget that there are other ways to do this.
One way would be to mount a magnetic reed switch (they're cheap) inside an exterior light, or against the window glass. Hide a magnet under the hood or under the car. Wire the reed switch so that when you pass the magnet over the "secret" spot, the door opens.
swamprat323 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
i liek the reed switch, a lot cheapter then the tap magic thing.
skinner21 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

dualsport wrote:
Sounds like you're looking for a premade item, but
there's an IC chip that you can use to make your own keypad circuit pretty easily, combination would be hardwired. It has four lines that need to be keyed in sequence, but you can wire it with as many buttons as you like to make it impossible to crack, by wiring them to the reset line.
Have to look up the part number for it; I have a bunch stashed away when I used it for a starter kill circuit a long while ago.

thanks any information you can get me on it would be great  I like to make things from scratch

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic