icon

Quieting 6x9's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, I have a two channel mtx amp that puts out 120x2 at 4 ohms when the car is on. I have this running to my mb quart components in the front. I just bought some alpine 6x9's for the rear fill, but I want them to be significantly quiter than my front speakers. All speakers in the car will be 4 ohms. and there will be one 6x9 and one half of the component set running to each channel on the mtx amp, so it will be running 2 ohms/channel. Can't I put a resistor or something inline with the 6x9's? They only handle 55 watts rms anyway.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Run you MB Quarts with the MTX amp and run the 6X9's off of your head unit. It's that simple.
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
yuk. I don't want anything running off my headunit. I have the internal amp on it shut off, and I want to keep it running as cool as possible
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Well then your only other option is to get another amp. IF you try putting restistor on the speaker wire, that is power wasted, and yes it will take power from your MB Quarts also if you do use a resistor inline.
Why do you want to keep the head unit as cool as possible, it is not going to matter either way, the head unit is designed to be used with the internal amp anyway, it is not going to hurt anything.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
Either way the head unit is going to get hot...do you not like the inside of your dash to be exposed to heat??
As long as you don't clip your hu's amp than you'll be fine...Shouldn't be a problem with front stage on the amp and rear fill on headunit.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
Buy a seperate amp for the 6x9's and turn the gain down to your liking.
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
planet audio has a 30x2 rms same amp that i have on my 6x8's vx-602. you can get it from ebay for $40.50 shipped
97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic