icon

Remote Start on 03 Ford f-250

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasonschwenk 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

I have installed an airwolf 20098 unit on my 2003 ford f-250 diesel and the airwolf unit will not recognize the negative or positive glow plug wires on it. I have the neg glow plug wire hooked up to a 528t but even if i hook the wire directly to groung it still will not wait to start any ideas?

is the unit broken or am i missing something?

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
Where did you get your "wait to start" wire? When I do these older Fords, I allways get it from the glow plug relay pack on the pass. side firewall under hood. Green plug. It looks like a little amplifier on the firewall.  GREEN / WHITE wire. It's 12 volts as the plugs heat up.....based on the install manual of your unit, I would guess you to use the RED wait to start wire.
jasonschwenk 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i used the red neg wire and i hooked it up to ground using the 528t and using dei direct fax 1091. the unit won't even wait if i bypass the the realy and hook up the red wire to ground. But also if i show 12v to the RED / blk wire it will also start without waiting. since neither wire works this leads me to believe i am doing something wrong.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the first thing is that you need either the 528T OR the Ford's glowplug wire......NOT both.
The whole idea of using the 528T is that you don't have to bother finding glowplug wires..........the 528T would be configured to trigger the remote starter's wait-to-start input for a predetermined period of time........... you would measure how long the glow plugs stay on, on a cold day, and set the 528T for that amount of time and be done with it.
At any rate, you said your Airwolf has two wait-to-start inputs....... a red negative, and a RED / black positive?
I am not familiar with Airwolf product, but sometimes the installation manuals are confusing.........is it possible that you are mistaken about which wire is positive, and which is negative?
Try the opposite of what you did........apply ground to the RED / black, or positive to the red.........see what happens.........as long as you verify that both of those wires are wait-to-start inputs, you're not going to blow anything up.
After you get the remote starter's wait-to-start wires sorted out and working.........
You should either use the 528T on its own, according to that tech document........OR, connect to the truck's glowplug, and eliminate the 528T.
P.S. This probably doesn't help you, but some brands of remote starters have a cranking delay that can be changed in programming.
For example, when I install my Audiovox remote starters in Diesels, I can choose a 10, 15, or 20 second delay between the ignition turning on the the starter cranking.............the only extra labor I put into a Diesel job is the small amount of time it takes to program that feature.
jasonschwenk 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
no no no when i say glow plug wires i mean the wait to start wires on the airwolf unit, airwolf calls them glow plug inputs but i did not try and change the polarity yet i  will try that and post back
jasonschwenk 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
no good i tried reversing the polarity on the red RED / blk wires and it is still not seein either input any other ideas?
Chris Luongo 
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
jasonschwenk wrote:
9-9. RED / Black: Glow Input (optional)
This wire is used only in diesel applications to detect when the “wait to start” light has
turned off. Connect this wire to a wire in the vehicle which shows 0 volts when the glow
plugs are on and 12 volts when the glow plugs are off. In most vehicles this wire will be
found in the instrument cluster. If you wire in the vehicle shows 12 volts when the plugs are
on and 0 when off you will need to connect a relay to invert the signal.
Hmm........that is better-written than some other install manuals I've seen, but it still is confusing.
Anyway, so you're saying you've tried all FOUR of the scenarios listed below, and the unit will still not wait to start?
1. Positive to the red
2. Negative to the red
3. Positive to the RED / black
4. Negative to the RED / black.
Also, the install manual doesn't mention any kind of programming that might be required to get it to work with diesels.
If you have tried 1-4 above, I would try calling DesignTech's tech support and see what they have to say.
By the way, the rest of the remote start is working perfectly, right? I mean, as long as the truck's engine is already warmed up, it'll remote start and run fine.....it's just the delay that's the issue, right? Just trying to verify that the rest of the install is good.
Chris Luongo 
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
12 - 8 IGN 1 ON waiting time
You can configure IGN 1 ON waiting time that determines the time between turning IGN ON
and operating the starter motor when the brain attempts engine start.
œ Note - If the vehicle is diesel and the warm-up sense wire is connected, the
starter motor is operated when the warm-up sensor detects the glow plugs
- regardless of this setting. Otherwise, the vehicle will crank when the
programmed time has expired.
Okay, forget what I just said about programming........it has a programmable cranking delay, similar to what Audiovox has.
Shouldn't be any need for the red or RED / black wires, or the 528T for that matter.
Just go into programming, and set feature 12-8 for the amount of time you think is right.
I would just set at at 10 seconds, at least for now.
If you want to be more exact, wait until a cold winter day, park the truck overnight, get in it the next morning and measure how long the glow plugs stay on.......program the unit for that amount of time.
jasonschwenk 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  

all four senarios have been tried

the unit is working fine everything works 100% just wont delay except for the 1-10 sec you can program which is fine now but during the winter it will not be enough

i did contact design tech and it turns out they have been out of business since oct and the rights have been bought by DEI. DEI sys tha they are discontinuing the airwolf and connot give me any tech support other than "well the unit should work fine the way it is wired"

The only other thing i was able to was find the company that makes the unit in Korea and i emailed them but still waiting i guess they don't work weekends there either

http://www.goairwolf.co.kr/eng/index.html

Chris Luongo 
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
I've done my fair share of Ford Diesels, and I wish I could rememberhow long I set the delay for.
I agree with you that the product should have had a greater range to set the delay.....up to 20 seconds would have been nice.......
but are you sure 10 seconds won't be enough? I mean, it's your truck, so you should probably know........but have you really timed it with a wristwatch, in the winter, not just guessing?
As far as DEI's tech support, they have a reputation for giving wildly different answers, depending on who you get. You might try calling them again on another day, or at another time of day.
I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I sure hope whoever told you they wouldn't support the Airwolf product was mistaken...............I wouldn't know the legalities of such things, but that would be very bad karma for them to do that.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic