icon

Shock Sensor going crazy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
I think my shock sensor is going crazy. Since yesterday evening and five times last night, my car alarm has been going off randomly. I thought it was some tiny fruits falling from the trees above or the rain drops. I sat in my backyard and suddenly heard the alarm go off again. This time I witnessed nothing hit the car, not even the rain. Therefore I decided to dissect the alarm electronics and do a physical inspection. I noticed that the shock sensor seems to be too sensitive. Zone 1 and Zone 2 are both very sensitive so I played around with the two pots, full anticlockwise and adjusting one at a time very slowly. Most of the time both zones get fired off even with minimal sensitivity.
My alarm system is the Omega Max.
As per any of you pros out there, what shock sensor is the best performer? I would like to buy a dual zone shock sensor and replace my sensors.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
The first step is to troubleshoot to verify that's what's causing the false alarm.
Most alarms have some sort of notification system to tell you what caused the alarm to go off..........door, trunk, hood, shock, etcetera.
Usually this is done by counting how many times the LED is flashing, before you turn the ignition on, but every brand is a little different.
What kind of car do you have? There are a few cars where the door trigger, if wired improperly, can false after a while.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
I found which shock sensor was the culprit (I have two shock sensors, one wrapped around the the steering column and one behind the glove box very tightly held in position to a metal part of the frame. Reason why I have two is as follows: The one on the steering column works for very hard knocks, but not for the pre-warn siren. Therefore I got myself another one from Omega, which worked very well till few days ago. Now even the prewarn is making the full alarm go off. For now I disconnected that one and the problem has gone, however I dont have a prewarn sensor.    
I really would like to know which shock sensor is really good quality. I want to buy one and need a name/brand of something that has a good track record. I don't mind spending more for a good quality sensor.
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
I would probably recommend a DEI shock sensor off ebay. Should be like $5
glantern83 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Question... Did you diode isolate the sensors so that there would be no feedback?
If not thats most likely your problem...
For an example of how to do this visit the link below...
http://bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/newsite/pictures/instdiagrams/121.jpg
-Kitt
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I have diode isolators between each sensor and also between all 4 door switches, which I remember soldering with quite some pain as it was very difficult to reach the connector. As I've disconnected my siren (to not bother my neighbours) and disconnected the right shock sensor, I haven't had an incidence in the last few days. I would know if the alarm goes off without the siren because I have an Ecco 2 way transmitter which beeps when the car alarm goes off.
gregory863 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
unplug the shock and seeif the prob goes away
I can eat fifty eggs
glantern83 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Check the manual that cmae with the sensor and see if you have to disconect a wire when setting it sensitivity... I had a problem with that on an omega sensor once.... Also do I diode check on the diodes an make sure that there ok...
If all else fails I think you shold try a new sensor.. Also make sure the sensors are not mounted down so they cant move this can cause problems for shock sensors.
-KITT
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
I disconnected the sensor and the problem went away.
ALso I will check the diodes this Saturday to make sure they did not short or cut. I did not know the position of the sensor mattered. I have both my sensors vertical. Could that be a problem? And no, both my sensors are Omega sensors that have 4 wires and 2 controls. A +, a-, trigge1 and trigger2.
Now do I have to mount the sensors horizontally?
glantern83 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Mounting the sensors verticaly fine... what I usually do is lighhtly ziptie them to a wire harness in the vehicle... just make sure that the sensor could move....
-KITT
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic