icon

KAC 9152D amp goes into protect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
05z71crew 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

I purchased a KAC 9152D MONO amp recently and when I hook it up and play it for awhile the amp goes into protect. why?

Amp runs 900 RMS @2 ohm and I have a pair of 4 ohm SVC subs that run 300 RMS/600 PEAK. I shouldn't be overloading the amp with these subs would I?

lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
2 12" powerbass subs; 6x9's and 5 1/4's
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
depends on if you are driving the amp past its limits or a simple connection issue. This is typically caused by heat.
check these things:
is it hooked up via rca?
how is the gain set?
do you have a good ground?
05z71crew 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

@ 900 RMS i would think the amp would never go past its limits since I only have 2 300 RMS subs hooked to it...

RCA check

Gain set low....BUT I have this part from PAC audio that jacks between the RCA's of my headunit and AMP to give +- 8 DB gain on the RCA's       even if I have the gain on the amp low and the PAC part set to 0 DB boost it still does it when I use the AMP's remote bass boost, I don't have to turn it all the way up...

Ground is a check too

I also have a 2 Farad Cap hooked into it too if that matters...

I had an American Bass SQ540 Amp that wouldn't play as loud but it NEVER went into protect...

lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
05z71crew 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
And another thing... the Kenwood isn't nearly as hot as the SQ540 would get...
lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

05z71crew wrote:
@ 900 RMS i would think the amp would never go past its limits since I only have 2 300 RMS subs hooked to it...

Amplifiers and speakers just don't work that way. If they did, then by the same reasoning a 911 Turbo that is capable of speeds over 170 mph would only do 85 if you put a set of tires on it that are only rated up to speeds of 85 mph. (I'll let everyone else have fun with this analogy) The amplifier will produce the same output into a given impedance regardless of what the speakers are rated to handle. Have a peek at the sticky topics here:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_topics.asp?fid=2

KAC 9152D amp goes into protect -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
05z71crew 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
But overpowering the subs wouldn't put the amp into protect would it? Wouldn't the subs just start distorting and stuff as if about to blow?
lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
qnretail 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Does the amp stay off or does it just shut off for 30 seconds or so and then kick back on? I have the same amp and when I push it hard it will cut out so that it doesn't overheat. Although I'm running mine at 1 ohm with a much more power hungry speaker (DD 9512F). I installed a few fans in my amp rack which helps prevent this from happening quite so often..
2 x DD9515f's, Digital Designs Z1 amplifier
05z71crew 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
It turns off and then kicks back on....but the amp isn't really hot....
lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

Remove the PAC part as you shouldn't need it anyway.  Search this forum for 'gain' and follow the procedures.  You will be using test tones to find clipping levels on both the head unit and the amplifier.  When that is all done, see what the amp does during play time...if it still continues to kick off and then back on you should suspect a defective amplifier.

Point is:  when you describe how you set gain as "gain set low", that is an indication that you didn't set it properly.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
05z71crew 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

I set it low so I could adjust the gain using the PAC part without reaching maximum amp power at low volumes....

It only plays for about twenty minutes first turned on and them maybe two between cut outs...

I noticed the amp manual was a little dingy when I opened the package...like the unit had been used before but everything else seemed new...

To use The12volt's analogy.....the tires may be rated @ 85 and if you go past that you will certainly blow the tires before the engine, Right? So I would start killing the speakers way before the amp.... I think.. :-)

lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic