KAC 9152D amp goes into protect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
05z71crew 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

When that is all done, see what the amp does during play time...if it still continues to kick off and then back on you should suspect a defective amplifier.

I have been adjusting gain, boost and volume control and it still cuts out when the speakers are driven clean, no audible pops, distortion or bottoming out...   It sounds real good all the way up until I get nothing

lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
2 12" powerbass subs; 6x9's and 5 1/4's
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

05z71crew wrote:
To use The12volt's analogy.....the tires may be rated @ 85 and if you go past that you will certainly blow the tires before the engine, Right? So I would start killing the speakers way before the amp.... I think.. :-)

While that may be possible, the more likely scenario is the tires would cause you to lose control of the car before they ever blow out. The engine, transmission, suspension, tires, etc. all work together as a system and any one of them could be damaged if not the entire vehicle (system). The point of my analogy is the amplifier will continue to produce the same amount of power regardless of what the speakers are rated to handle just as the car will still go faster than the tires are rated to go.

KAC 9152D amp goes into protect - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

If the amplifier is not clipping when it shuts down, the first thing I would suspect is a poor connection with either the ground or power, however I would not rule out the PAC line amplifier you have as the culprit either. After you verify your power and ground connections and have also verified that you have sufficient operating current at the amplifier when it cuts out, do as stevdart suggested and remove the PAC piece to eliminate it as the cause of your problem. If all else is good and you have set the gain properly and killed the bass boost all together and it still cuts out, then I would suspect a bad amplifier.

One other possible scenario is the woofers are presenting a lower imepdance at certain frequencies to the amplifier than amplifier can handle. To understand this you need to know that impedance is relative to frequency and just because a speaker has a 4 ohm nominal impedance does not mean the speaker maintains a 4 ohm impedance at all frequencies. So, one last thing to try if everything else has failed to reslove your problem is wiring one woofer to each channel of the amplifier instead of both to it's bridged outputs.

EDIT - Just realized you have a mono amplifier, so the best you could do with presenting the amplifier with a higher impedance from the woofers you have would be to wire them in series instead of parallel.
KAC 9152D amp goes into protect - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
05z71crew 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

It is a MONO block amp with two pairs of speaker terminals. Would the gain being set too high clip the amp? I would think it would just reach max power faster.

I know my ground and power are good... they work fine for the Cap. I also have a PAC OEM interface part for turning the class II data bus signal into a usable audio signal. Would that have anything to do with my problem.

Everything worked fine for my previous amplifier...

lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
theyoungone 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
ok, I have had this exact same thing happen three times with these exact amps, putting fans doesnt help, I think that these amps just shut off when it gets barely below 12 volts, Thats what mine does eeeevery time, no matter how hot it is,  maybe that doesnt make sense, but thats the only way i can explain them, but every single kac-9152d (according to my experiences.)  does it. try taking a volt meter and checking what voltage you hit before it shuts off, and it may not even show below 12 because it only has to barely drop below, so youre volt meter may not pick it up, ive tried everything on this forum, nothing helps, i put two fully charge optima redtop batts and it worked... till i ran out of charge (due to the no ho alt., but its coming soon) Thats just my 2 cents
I @m a B@D []D.[].[]\/[].[]D
05z71crew 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

It plays fine with the engine off though. Of course I don't turn it up but without the Alt charging the battery the volts would drop below twelve quite fast.

lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
theyoungone 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
by the way, im running two 10" l5 dual 4 ohm voice coils, producing a 1 ohm load ( i think...) Running it at 900 watts seriously drains some amps, it seems like this is always the case too,   with both of my batts charged my headlights still dim like crazy, but its worth it for the 2 min. of showing off KAC 9152D amp goes into protect - Page 2 -- posted image.
theyoungone 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

well if you crank it im sure theyll shut off, cause mine sure does

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
I also side with a bad ground and or a overdriven input stage of the amp caused by the PAC interface. Sell me on what you believe is a good ground, then we can discuss whether it is good or not.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
05z71crew 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
I took the stud that the jack handle is attached to (behind the rear seat) and bolted the ground to that...it is welded to the chassis.
lil nicky
06 Elantra (No more z71)
Kenwood KAC-9152D
American bass SQ540
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic