the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

can you strap two 1000/1?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
killer sonata wrote:
cant say that i have. I still dont like it. It doesnt make a bit of sense to me except to help sell their woofers. To me if you use the term SQL that means that your setup isnt good enough for SQ or SPL so you use the term SQL to give yourself a warm fuzzy
<Dave nods his head in agreement.>
SQL is a nonsense phrase, designed by the industry to make consumers believe that their product can do whatever the consumer wants it to do... Well they CAN'T. If you want an SPL system, then build one without using SQ gear, and the same goes for the other way around.
"warm fuzzy"... I like that.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks dave. We use that term a lot in the Air Force. But this topic is going way off track. I think this topic is prety much over since we are all in agreeance that you cant strap the 1000/1.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

"in agreeance"....that gives me a warm fuzzy...  can you strap two 1000/1? - Page 2 -- posted image.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=79715&PN=1

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
What happens if "SQL" becomes an industry standard? How will you all cope? can you strap two 1000/1? - Page 2 -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ill sell all of my crap and spend my money elsewhere.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

"in agreeance"....that gives me a warm fuzzy...  can you strap two 1000/1? - Page 2 -- posted image.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=79715&PN=1

Whats with the link stevdart? agreeance is a real word. Look it up. :)

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
The part that REALLY bugs me is the crap about the 3 ohm voice coils being the best for sound quality. Everyone knows that dual and single ohm voice coils of various ratings are there for one reason,to allow more flexability when determining the final ohm load you send to your amp(s). If a 3 ohm coil was better for SQ then why aren't all of your subs single 3 ohm coils? The one and ONLY reason they use a single 3 ohm coil is marketing. JL's "slash" series amps produce equal power from1.5 to 4 ohms, so they would suffer power loss at 3 ohms, while almost all other D block amps do their best at 1 or 2 ohms. So if I tell you "X" brand amp will lose 25 to 50% of it's power at a 3 ohm load while the JL "slash" will not which one would you buy?
There is no such thing as free installation!
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
Actually I would prefer an 8ohm sub for my SQ setup. Higher the ohmload, the cleaner the sound.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know if you can make a blanket statement like that. If this were true wouldn't we see 16 ohm subwoofers?
There is no such thing as free installation!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Bob, that's a good point, but the industry pushes high power, low impedance drive amplifiers (i.e. high current), and they don't ever mention the adverse effects of it.
Higher impedance loads will always exhibit less heat, lower distortion, better damping, and lower THD. Again, here the industry never mentions these facts. Even in the high-end home audio world, very few manufacturers are still producing high impedance loudspeakers.
Power sells. It's a fact. If a manufacturer says it make more power into a lower impedance load, (and you've seen it here in this board, yourself) the consumer will ALWAYS try to load that amplifier to it's maximum load, wont' they? It's ingrained in the consumer's mind to always get ALL they paid for...
killer sonata and I are of the belief that what we paid for happens to be in the fidelity aspect. This is why he and I would rather "under-load" an amplifer, than maximally load it. Your gain is power, our gain is damping, longevity, and lower distortion. Personally, I think we are getting the better deal.
You heard my system. Those 6's in the doors, my mid-bass drivers? Those are (were) Morel 8 ohm drivers. The amplifier WAS only capable of 185 wpc, but you heard them. I paid for an amplifier... I paid for 185 watts per channel, where you would have paid the same money for 370 watts per channel. Same amp, different expectations. That doesn't mean I am getting less or you are getting more amplifier. The sound was very good - you even commented on it. My amplifier will never overheat, it exhibits better efficiency, I won't overtax my electrical system (as quickly), and I'll always enjoy the best sound I can. My choice is to under-load the amps...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic