icon

eclipse cd players

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 4:02 AM / IP Logged  
i am looking at getting a eclipse 8445 cd player and i see that it has 8 volt preouts, the question i have and it may be a stupid one is that can haveing 8 volt pre outs be bad for your amp? i always thought it would be better but i was talking to someone recently and they said that it isnt always good and that you can mess ur amp up with high voltage preouts. so if someone could clairify this for me i would apriciate it. thanx.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
Simply put, no. It will not damage your amplifier. It CAN, if improperly used, easily drive your (improperly adjusted) amplifier into clipping and cause damage to your SPEAKERS, though. You must be very careful when adjusting your amps in a system like this to avoid just such a situation.
If your amps are already adjusted all the way down, then you need to be more careful with the volume control on the HU, and not crank your Bass/Treble settings. The responsibility then becomes yours.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
Proper tuning, like haemphyst said, is the key here. I currently own that deck and am nothing but happy with it. Make sure you buy the tuning mic off of cardomain (havnet been able to find it anywhere else). The deck has a built in RTA. even though its not a true RTA, it does help quite a bit. Also, make sure you buy the deck from an authorized dealer. I dont believe there are any online. This is important when its time to warantee the deck.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
ok well the cd-8445 would be going to a 1000/1 and probably a 300/4 later on to drive the doors. do you see a problem with that or not. and im not really sure what exactilly is clipping? and how would i prevent that from happening?
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

i didnt know that the cd-8445 cd player has an rta in it? and how would i be able to use that to tune the system? and will that give me a acurate spl # or no?

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
oxygen65 wrote:

i didnt know that the cd-8445 cd player has an rta in it? and how would i be able to use that to tune the system? and will that give me a acurate spl # or no?

No. It is not an SPL meter. It is an RTA. Real Time Analyzer. Its purpose is to provide you with a spectrum analyzation of your system, NOT tell you how loud it is getting... It is a tuning device.
It will allow you to look at the overall response of your system, indicating dips or peaks, and allow you to use the quasi-parametric EQ in the deck to adjust for mostly flat, or at least flatter frequency response.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

well put haemphyst. the RTA helps the system sound better, not necessarily louder. If you want a pure SPL system my advise would be to find the forum of the organization you plan to be competing in and see if someone will help you with settings and what not. Im not a fan of SPL so I have no clue how to tune the system for maximum SPL output.

to avoid clipping set your gains on your amps properly and hook the subs up to the amp with an ohmload that the amp can handle. If everything is setup properly then no clipping should occur unluss the deck or amp itslef has an internal problem.

the JL amp will handle that deck with absolutely no problem.

"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question for you guys: I use to do some spl competition a couple of years ago and was entertaining the idea of going into SQ for a change. Doing some research into the stuff found out most guys would tell me that they would set their EQs for RTA accuracy but generally people didn't like the sound. Anyone wanna clarify what they meant or add to that? I don't have access to an RTA so I guess I really can't compare.
boosh!!
haemphyst 
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
I personally LOVE a flat curve. It is FAR easier to make it sound the way I want from there, than it is to start with a jacked response and try to fix it then.
In every system I build (especially home) I will always strive for a flat response.
Many people do not know what music is supposed to sound like, because they are so used to hearing all of the over-processed, smiley-faced EQ recordings of the pop culture today. This is one of the main reasons many people don't like the way my systems sound... "Where's the bass?" they often ask. I have PLENTY of bass, I assure you. If people would simply sit and listen to a PROPER recording, of good music... (Ask me in a PM, I'll offer PLENTY of spectacular recordings for well balanced frequency response, and you'd LOVE them, even with a flat RTA in your system...)
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 5:26 AM / IP Logged  

Yep a sub should not be heard but felt, as it should melt into the back round but missed if it's it's turned off, very few subs can do this in home audio let a lone car audio with out sounding boomy, which by the way is the sound that 90% of the people hear in car and home audio.

Most people have not heard what a truely powerfull sub sounds like with very low distortion that drops to 16hz and below.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic