icon

2 ohm dvc sub wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
giganticprune 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
okay, from what i understand it seems that untill i get a new amp that is one ohm stable, i have to run my 4 cvr dvc (2ohm per coil) at 4 ohms.
now my question is, even thouhg i havent seen it in any of the wiring diagrams, is it possible to run these subs at 2 ohms?
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

nope. pretty sure you cant

"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
I'll take that bet. Ignore one voice coil on each sub to start. Next wire the subs into pairs and wire them in series. Next take the pairs of subs and wire in parallel. Net result is a 2 ohm load. Pay close attention to the power handling capabilities of the subs as they will now be at 50% of what they are rated to handle. If your amp is in the ballpark of this figure, you should be good to go.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
thats cheating forbidden! lol. I think we all assumed he wanted to use both voive voils. If you want to leave out a voice coile, yeah its definetly possible, but personally, I dont know why you would want to.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
If you pay careful attention to cutting the power rating in half when doing this it perfectly fine to achieve the desired load rating on the amp. I think this is why the dvc was created, correct me if am wrong though.
giganticprune 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
well i guess that was coming to me, i did only ask if it was possible, and i got my answer. damn i screwed myself on these 2 ohm coils. oh well im ordering my kicker sx1250.1 tomorrow, its kickers only amp thats one ohm stable
because of my discount theres only 3 vendors i can get amps from, kicker, eclipse, and mtx...and the 81001 is out of my price range
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 5:11 AM / IP Logged  
You can use two amps instead of one.  2 ohms on each.  Judge by how loud you want the subs to be, how much power is consumed from your vehicle to get this power, and how the sub box is built (as in separated chambers).  Sound quality and amplifier life goes up with the two ohm output, too.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Not trying to open a can of worms but why only 20% I would be more inclined by my expereince to say 50% of power handling capability would be lost by only using 1 coil on a dvc. Is there an explanation behind being only 20% though?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
If you get 80% using just one coil...wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd get 160% using both?  2 ohm dvc sub wiring? -- posted image.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic