icon

67 GTO big problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
I'm currently putting a radio into a gto and i hooked the constant to the cig lighter and the switch to the original radio. Well I blew the fuse for the original radio and replaced then i decided i was going to hook up the constant to the fuse where there was a male spade that had twelve volts and said batt fuse. After that it didn't work. Checked that spot and had nothing at the spade. I checked and the car wouldn't start. After a bit i checked the cig fuse to pull it out and it was hot, burnt my skin hot. I continued to test and found out the red power wire in the fuse box had continuity to ground. Knowing thats not good i unhooked the cig wire behind the cigarette lighter and the car started so i thought everything was ok. I tested that spade again and still had no power. I touched the cig fuse spot and burnt my skin again. Don't know where to go from here.
Fastlearner 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
i've got the problem configured to the circuit in which the fuse reads "stop dome" which i'm assuming that fust is for the brake lights and dome lights. Its only when i put the fuse in it gets extremely hot and wont blow. Just get hot to the touch. Anyone please.
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Instead to catching power at the cigarette lighter, go directly to the fuze box.  From there, catch both your switched and constant power
Do it right the first time
Fastlearner 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not even worried about the radio at this point i'm worried about the spade that reads batt fuse and the one fuse heating up to a point you can't touch it.
Fastlearner 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

Is it allright for that piece to get hot because the fuse never blows when i put it in there. Just gets really hot. I never even touched anywires that would even be close to that circuit.

bigscrun 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Imagine if that piece gets really hot and burns, you just bought yourself a classic GTO. How about taking the extra time and running a dedicated 12v to the new radio?
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
you actually have something grounding out but it isn't enough to blow your fuze.  i would check your dome light at the light and make sure nothing is loose, corroded or grounding out..
Do it right the first time
Fastlearner 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Allright  day 2. I checked all the bulbs for the dome lights and stop lights. And what i did is i set my meter on dc volts and put it in series where the fuse would be and it reads 12 volts meaning that something is grounding out. After pulling all of the bulbs out it still reads 12 volts. Well hope this can help any of you guys with my problem. I'll check back in a little bit while i continue to find the problem. Thanks everyone so far. I have the radio wired up to the ignition harness and that works great. All i have to do is figure this problem out.
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Did you check the cig lighter to see if the return spring was broken on the element causing it to stay in contact?
Fastlearner 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

It actually doesn't have a cigarette lighter, he has the cig location on the dash but no plug. And there is nothing inside it causing it to ground out there.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic