icon

Box for 6x9?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mfklein24 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
If you were to make a sealed box for a 6x9 would it hit harder/sound better than it being a free air speaker? Also if you were to amp a 6x9 vs. an 8 or 10 inch sub how much of a difference would there be? I am talking like a 2 channel peak 280 watts. I can't find the amp i have online anywhere because it is older and not a well known amp so i don't know what the rms wattage is on it. thanks
- mike k
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
It will sound better in  a box and amped, it will give some low end but not as low as a sub.....
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
Oval.....maybeBox for 6x9? -- posted image.
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
actually, boston has a sub out now that is an oval, it has been nicknamed the racetrack, havent heard it to know what the sq or spl is, but its an interesting concept. and on crutchfield you can find a couple different oval component sets in a 6x9, or 5x7/6x8.
97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!
dangerranger96 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
and jl has a few 5x7 component systems
97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Infinity also makes "oval" component sets.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
dangerranger96 
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
the infinities are on the crutchfield site, jl only sells through certified installers
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
If I'm understanding the question correctly the above answers are wrong. Are you asking if a boxed 6 X 9 will sound better then a free air version with everything else being equal? It will not. Free air speakers are what is called an infinite baffel, meaning they are designed to sound the best with no enclusure what so ever. The more you restrict them with a box, the more bass and effinciency they will lose. The smaller the box the worse it gets.
There is no such thing as free installation!
mfklein24 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
I am thinking on getting some Dub Mag Audio 6x9. My friend put them in his car just amped by the headunit and they sould like subs. Very good sound for the money. I haven't bought them yet but i didn't know if they would sound better in a box or not i am thinking that they would but i will have to see what the box says.
- mike k
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Free air speakers are what is called an infinite baffel, meaning they are designed to sound the best with no enclusure what so ever.

This is not entirely true. An infinite baffle enclosure is still a box, sort of. What I mean by this is that the sound waves exiting the front of the speakers cone have to be completely seperate from the sound waves exiting from the back of the cone. you cant just set the speaker on the floor, hook it up to an amp, and expect it to play without an enclosure and sound good. The sound waves have to be seperate or else they cancel each other out. This box is most popular in home audio. People with turn their entire attics into a sub box. its crazy. Im actually in the process of building and infinite baffle enclosure for my subs in my car. Its great for SQ. It produces a nice straight line across the frequency spectrum until a certain point and then smoothly rolls off. heres a link to some examples.

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes1.asp

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic