icon

Upgrading Mid/Highs Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
runvs07 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
I hav e a 4 door blazer with 2 12 inch Hx2s and a Kenwood excelon amp giving the 12s 1100 watts... the subs are ported and fairly loud... I Also have infinity components in the front doors powered by a 65x2 watt amp... I have factory tweeters, (4x6) Holes in the dash and factory 6.5inch speakers in the rear doors... What kind of 4 channel amp, (Watts RMS) and brand, and 4x6 and 6.5 should i buy to make my mids and highs match my lows?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
My advice.
Disable the factory tweeters.
Don't use the 4x6 holes in the dash.
Put some matching infinity components in the rear doors.
Keep your 65x2 amp. Power the rear components off your deck power.
Or, sell your 65x2 amp and buy a 4-channel amp. Eclipse is a good brand to start with.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
runvs07 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

The whole thing with the 2 chan i got now is that when i crank up my kenwood hu it distorts the highs and mids around 26... I have the front components crossed at 80hz.... 

I was also considering puttin mid bass drivers in the rear holes, running those off of my 65x2 amp... then buiding a 6x9 box(es) puting those in the back and powering the 6x9s and 6.5 comp up front.... I wanted  to stay kenwood and infinty products tho

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Sort of disagree with KFR, I have always had matching 6.5" infinity reference in my 4 doors of my blazer, with the factory tweeters in the dash. They sounded great. I recently did alot of sound proofing on the doors, and added 4x6" plate infinity speakers to replace the 1" tweeters wasting that 4x6 space.   Alot of pain in the arse work fitting them in, but now that it has been done, I am DEFINATLY happy, and if i had a new blazer tomorrow, I would do the same thing without hesitation.
dash speaker takes about 1 hour per side to swap out the front speakers, about 3 plastic parts need to be cut, left side needs to be filed out to clear for back side of tweeter, running wire is relavitely easy, but screwing all the screws in is definatly NOT because there is only 2.5-3.5inches due to windshield being there. the speaker Grills also need to be modified to clear the thicker plate.
I decided to do it because I had 4x6 Infinitys that i originally had in the dash of my s-10 (also a pain to fit in) that I removed before I sold it. So when i finally got around to putting them in the dash of the blazer, I am very pleased.
also, the factory speakers in your blazer are 10ohm in the back door, without the crappy little paper tweeter type cone popping out. The fronts are 6.5ohm with the little tweeter coneout (whatever its called). and the rear ones are different the way they plug as well. Getting better rear speakers are definatly a benifit (although they are minimal from the front seats, the backseat people will enjoy them more).
May not have even answered a single question you have, just wanted to tell you my experience with the exact same vehicle. only difference is my subs are 600RMS and sealed. but i have had 800RMS vented in the past.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic