icon

attaching cloth to mdf

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bmw m power 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

OK, this is a quick diagram of what I have... The purple lines are the fabric (couldn't draw it that well).

attaching cloth to mdf - Page 2 -- posted image.

So I want to attach the fabric from the base of my enclosure (it has a lip), to the INSIDE of the speaker ring? I want to subs to have a sunk in effect.

I spank imports
Ctoh 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2006 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
You need a training dvd so you can see how to get a flush or 'sunk' look,,,,
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
this is as basic as i can draw it for you...
essentially all the edges are rabbited more or less..
Fiberglass Guru.
bmw m power 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2006 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
Cool thanks alot, that's just what I needed. I'm gonna start the fiberglassing in a couple of weeks or so and post some pics. I'm going on vaca for 10 days, and when i get back I have to take apart the box to rabbit those edges. One more Q though, you said don't attach the back until all fg work inside is done.... my box right now is ready to go I can install subs and listen, it's just that I put and overhanging lip 3" around each side so I can add 2-3 layers JUST FOR THE LOOK. right now, the sub box is functional, just looks bad. Do I need to change the box and remove the front face so I can work witht he fg on the inside of the box? Thx again for the drawing.
I spank imports
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
crazyoldcougar wrote:
this is as basic as i can draw it for you...
essentially all the edges are rabbited more or less..
Nice illustration, good detail.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think it is necessary to rebuild the box...but you could end up with the "new" front sealed chamber resonating..between the mdf face and the new fibergalss face i mean..
as for your situation you are going to have a hard time attaching to sub cut out...you are most likely going to have to build a trim ring that fits just outside the outter edge of the sub, rabbit it and then go from there...
Fiberglass Guru.
bmw m power 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

crazyoldcougar wrote:
i dont think it is necessary to rebuild the box...but you could end up with the "new" front sealed chamber resonating..between the mdf face and the new fibergalss face i mean..
as for your situation you are going to have a hard time attaching to sub cut out...you are most likely going to have to build a trim ring that fits just outside the outter edge of the sub, rabbit it and then go from there...

If you'll see in my crappy diagram, the orange squares is the trim, don't know why i called it a speaker ring. The sub will go onto the face of the enclosure, and the trim will go around that to make it flush. Sry for the confusion with the quick sketch.

I spank imports
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic