icon

Homemade Router table setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
onelewdh22 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

Going to be making my own router table, but i don't know the best features to incorpret into the table. such as how thick the wood should be for the top, how big, things like that.  If any of ya'll have made your own router tables, please give me some specs on yours and why it works well, PICS would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

RED

SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

www.Rockler.com

Makes an excellent table with great features and accessories. They also sell plans for making your own.

Good Luck!
-Thad
pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
they cost to much i think i copyed one that some of the guys use at JL i saw a pic of one of there turtorials and i saw there router table in the background and thought it was pimp i think and it only cost me 50 they have a router table for two routers it is the shape of a kidney bean with a router at each end and if you are using like a jessem router jig you can buy the the cut out hole for it for only 15 bucks you put it where you want it secure it down and router it out with a flush bit or just make hole and bottom mount them like they did the only thing is that when ever you have adjust it you have to do it from the bottom i just bottom mounted mine and i ordered some laminate (color lazer blue) with the bottom stand made out of 2x4s i found in the garage and then found some aluminum siding and put that on the out side. not hard to make your own get creative and make it fit in your work space like put it in your work bench so that it saves space but if you need to work on top of that all you have to do i lower the bit and you have your work space back,
bmw m power 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

pmh61 wrote:
they cost to much i think i copyed one that some of the guys use at JL i saw a pic of one of there turtorials and i saw there router table in the background and thought it was pimp i think and it only cost me 50 they have a router table for two routers it is the shape of a kidney bean with a router at each end and if you are using like a jessem router jig you can buy the the cut out hole for it for only 15 bucks you put it where you want it secure it down and router it out with a flush bit or just make hole and bottom mount them like they did the only thing is that when ever you have adjust it you have to do it from the bottom i just bottom mounted mine and i ordered some laminate (color lazer blue) with the bottom stand made out of 2x4s i found in the garage and then found some aluminum siding and put that on the out side. not hard to make your own get creative and make it fit in your work space like put it in your work bench so that it saves space but if you need to work on top of that all you have to do i lower the bit and you have your work space back,

One period in the whole essay...

I spank imports
pmh61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
not much for grammar but if you look its not a period its a comma ... ,,,
pmh61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
way to go guyblow
onelewdh22 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have any pics of their own homemade tables?? Or know of any sites/links for free directions on how to build one what i should use etc.
thanks guys!
RED
ps. anyone know of good sites/links for learning to use a router? both plunge/fixed?
pmh61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
i don't have any pics of mine cam has been broke for like two months and if you go to jl's site and look under tutorials you can look at some of there stuff its an adobe download if you scroll threw you will see what i am talking about i looked at it today i could have swore they had two but they don't but i made mine with two and on the router if you want a used check ebay but if you gona get new try going to your local sears home depot type palce some times they have a display clearance i got a millwakee for 50 and it was never used
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
I got a decent one from harbor freight.  It was a ***** to put together, but it's got a metal stand, an aluminum top, power and speed control right on the front, and 2 shelfs.  It works great, but it takes forever to chage the bits.  If you're like me though, and only have 2 or 3 main bits you use, it's not a huge problem.  I wouldn't recomend it for a big shop.  In fact, I'll probably get rid of it when I move to a bigger shop.
onelewdh22 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2006 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
pmh61- hey i checked on JL's web site and couldn't find any of their shop pictures.  You got a link i could go to in order to see their shop pics?  I still havn't seen anyone's "homemade" workbench/router tables yet :(  I'm bout to go to lowes in a bit and check out what they got and try my own thing until i get a better idea and expand off of that.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic