icon

Melted Wire and Distribution Block

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cid200 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Hi I have a problem and have been unable to find any suggestions on what my be the cause.
My Car:
2005 Dodge Ram STD
My Audio:
I have 2 Infinity Amps
REF611A 600 Watt Class D Subwoofer Amplifier
REF7541A 520 Watt 4-channel amplifier
REF611A is pushing 2-10" Kappa Perfect in parrallel
REF7541A is pushing 2-6"x9" Diamond Audio & 2-5-1/4" Kappa
I am running 4 Gauge power with 80 amp fuse from battery to a distribution block that splits to 2 8 guage with an 80 amp fuse that go to each amp.
My Problem:
The distribution block heats up on the 4 channel side both the wire and the plastic around the block connection melted. The fuse was so hot that the glue holding the nickel caps on the glass melted. I replaced the block and removed the bad length of wire. The fuse gets really hot at max volume after 2 minutes. The sub side stays really cool. Any Ideas???
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
You have some sort of short on the 4-channel amplifier side. You may need to have it serviced. Does it work otherwise?
Also, are you clipping it like crazy? Why are you running at max volume for 2 minutes?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
cid200 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
The amp works fine otherwise. It will cut out a few times. I listen at max volume :) Do you think their is an internal issue with the amp??
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
1st thing I notice is 80 amp at dist block, this seems high for 8 gauge, the fuse should blow well before melt down...It appears your 4 channel needs more current than can be supplied with an 8 gauge wire. Is  your output/watts listed rms or peak. If rms you will need to invest in larger gauge wire, maybe 2/0 or o gauge, then distribute down to 4 gauge...
cid200 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
111 watts RMS x 4 channel at 4 ohms
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
First problem I saw is simple. The truck needs a shot. It has a STD. I'll go and read the balance of the thread now.....poor truck....
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

Bigger wire on the amp for power and ground is a must. Make sure that there was not also a small shard of wire that may have been making contact with the mounting screw on the distro block.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

Melted wire and/or distribution block = result of an installer who should not be working on your vehicle, and you are lucky you didn't burn down with your car.

Listening at max volume = system is too small and blown speakers are on the way (along with being deaf.)

Sounds to me like you need to spend some money and get assistance from a local pro.

Support the12volt.com
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I hate std's.............

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic