icon

Recommedation on System Design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
conseit68 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

First and foremost, thanks for those giving input here. I believe I have deceided on a system. But would like input from those more knowledgeable. The system will consist of the following. Please note that I have already removed ALL mach equipment including BOTH amps:

Vehicle - 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

Power Management - Upgrade to 1/0 cabling for all stock distribution i.e. battery to alternator, battery to block & frame, etc. Also, 1/0 cabling run though frame in 1.25" liquidtight conduit to rear of vehicle. Second 1/0 ground to rear frame. (1) Batcap 800 in rear of vehicle doubling as a distribution block for both amplifiers. Please note that I plan to keep stock alternator and battery.

Source - Alpine IVA W-200 (Custom mounted where existing radio once went)

Front Surrond - Kicker RS Series 6.5" Component (Woofer monted in stock location while tweeter will be custom mouned in sail trim)

Rear Fill - Kicker SS Series 6.5" Mid-Bass Woofer (Mounted in stock location)

Component Subwoofers - Kicker S12L5 x 2 (Per custom deminisions given by Jeremy and Chris at kicker the enclosure 2.5 cu ft. + .3 cu. ft. ported each aimed toward the rear and tuned at 38Hz and wrapped in leather to match the tan interior)

Monoblock Amp - Kicker ZX1000.1 @ 2ohms

Interior Amp - Kicker ZX350.4 @ 2ohms (from what I understand I will lose fader control but I think I can live with that)

Cd/MP3 Changer - Alpine CHA-S634 (mounted in center console)

Rear Video - (2) Alpine TME-M710 6.5" Monitors (mounted into the headrests of the front seating for 2nd row viewing)

Audio Sound Processing - Kove AX-1 Aphex (mounted in center console)

EQ/Crossover Network - Kove EQC30 (mounted with amps...see below)

Rear Design - The deminisions I have to work with are somewhat limited even though I will no longer have the 3d row seating installed. Subwoofers will face to the rear diectly behind the second row seating. From the sub enclosure to the rear tailgate will be a leather wrapped 5in. raised floor with the amplifiers on a gas shock operated drawer system that can lock and unlock via electronic lock tied into alarm. Although the monoblock is a class "D" I still require air cirulation, so I will have 2 "high cfm" 12v fans hidden from view at all times. I am torn if to have acrylic recessed into the floor so the amps are visable while the drawer is closed...   

Well thats it so far...and I appreciate everyone's input to this point. Any pointers, suggestions, thought, experiences, or just babling on the above would be great. Thanks again.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Personally I would be using a 2way or component type of rear speaker. Especially if you plan on doing a true surround format that has full range information in the signal.

Throw the gear aside for a second, what is the goal of your system, good sound, monster output etc. Why so many processing units?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
conseit68 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
you are always on when I need input so thank you. well I listen to everything from 20's blues/jazz to todays rap/alternative so I am looking for a wide array. I am not looking to win any SPL compititions but want a hard thump there when I have the urge. Starting with the Aphex, I heard the drastic improvment in sound quality today with the unit and my jaw dropped, plus I would enjoy being able to adjust mild sound aspects from the drivers seat per style of song. The EQC simply because I thought I would need a crossover to control and confirm the freq. range each speaker would play at (but could very well be wrong).
conseit68 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I pressed post to soon...I also thought of components in the rear. I still may do that just didnt have any ideas as to where to mount the tweeters. Another slight factor the consider is the cost difference of $80 (midbass) to $250 (component). I would like to stay completely away from coax due to lack of sound quality.
conseit68 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
smart suggestion...I will have to look though the forums to find a good 200A unless you have a reccomendation...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden sees right to the heart of the matter.  I agree to use full range rears, as well.  My opinion of "plus I would enjoy being able to adjust mild sound aspects from the drivers seat per style of song." is this:  that's what deck controls are for.  But then, I'm not into fiddling with controls while trying to drive.

If you have worked this system out with your local dealer, have auditioned the gear and have arrived at an installation price and timeframe, then go for it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
if you are looking to stay away from lack of sound quality then why are you going all kicker? kicker is not known for their SQ. Why not step it up a notch and go focal?
conseit68 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

Honestly I have never heard of focal, but will look into them. At one time forbidden suggested Eclipse as well. Trouble is that around here I am limited to actually hearing the pieces prior to buying. I will also look into a set of full range in the rear or maybe just bite the bullet with a second set of components. Concerning the aphex processor...I can only desribe it as a hear to believe thing. I listened to the unit in another vehicle and it was truly amazing. Installation will be done all by me, pricing is where ever I can get the best at, once settling on brand (thanks killer for throwing me off...lol). I have been working on design with the Louis at USAudio in MD. From the trophies he has there (2nd place Nationals SQ 2005...which is what I heard the aphex in) along with his team members cars, one is hitting 178db with 1 18" and another is the loudest Xterra in the world where the drivers seat actually lays back into the port (46 cu. ft. enclosure). As started above, my main concern is SQ, but would like the system to thump when I have the urge. Another requirement I have is that the amps, speakers and subwoofers be of the same manufacturer, which I know makes it tough but I am retarded Recommedation on System Design -- posted image.. Keep them suggestions coming this is helping very much...thanks again

killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

dont ever be persueded into buying everything in the same brand. youll find that the best SQ vehicles are mixed matched all to hell. Focal makes very high end speakers and now subs and amps in the US. They have been around for years. They started in france (ew) and moved their way over here. The thing about focal is that they chose the ppl they want to sell their product. You should never buy them online because they dont authorize any delaers to do so online. Here is a link to find your closest dealer.

http://www.focal-america.com/Products/Others/Locator.html

Also, SQ costs a lot more than you might think. Start looking into the JL slash series amps for SQ. Another choice would be eclipse amps. Circuit city has started selling eclipse products so that would be a good place to go to check out their amps and decks. Im not a huge fan of their components. But then again, im spiled with focals :P

killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
oh and please get some pics of this supposed single 18" that hit 178db. That doesnt even seem remotely possible 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic