icon

laser motion detector starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eternal1 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
I first saw this on pimp my ride. basically its a laser motion detecter they wired in the pillar and to start the car all they had to do was wave your hand in front of it. i want to do something simular but i want it actually to have to be touched. what i have done so far (and i can provide schematic if necesary) is create a timer that is triggered by touch. I still want the key to be used but not be able to start the car. basically you touch a special trigger and it starts the timer which runs the starter. my problem is i cant figure out how to get it to stop when the car starts. i would have to utilize the rpm wire as feed back into the circuit to trigger the timer to stop trying to start once it has started. but thats where im stuck. if any one has any input i would greatly appreciate it.
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
here's my 2 cents. get yourself a remote starter. hack the rf input circuit and tie in a capacitive touch switch. the touch switch will replace the remote in theory.
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
eternal1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
well that would defeat the purpose of doing this on my own and spending as little as possible on it.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

eternal1 wrote:
my problem is i cant figure out how to get it to stop when the car starts. .

Not sure why you are using a Timer, unless you are Building your own R/S.

Most R/S's have aTimer built in

A few Remote Starts have a Trigger wire for Start & Stop which requires 250 - 500 ma Negative Input.  If you Touch Control will Start it, your Touch Control will Stop it.  Or have another touch for a Ground  to the Hood Pin Switch wire to Stop.

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
On pimp my ride, they used 791xv. They used an activitaion input wire for the remote start.
Waving his hand by provided the 2 pulse required to initiate the engine start.
read wat mo12v has to say. Hes right.
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
You'd have to be careful to make sure you design it so it doesn't trigger on its own.
Without something mechanical and being uncoded, it's going to be prone to false triggering, which is definitely undesirable in a remote start circuit. You'll have to put in all the usual RS safety interlocks for sure- might not be saving much over buying something, with the cost of the basic units being what they are.
eternal1 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
well its not exactly going to be remote start. the way i would have it wired would be the key would have to be in the ignition and turned on for it to even work. im more or less just looking for something diffrent in the way the car is started. like what they did. mostly just for kicks.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, that is a little different then---- you don't need it to automatically start the car and keep it running......... you just want a special, different way of cranking the starter to get the car to start, but only if you've already inserted the key and turned it on.
So it would be partially an anti-theft kill switch, and partially a cool trick........ but you have no desire for actual remote start, right?
They do sell pulse timers, so that you can set the timer to make an output for as long or as short as you want.
If you have a late-model, reliable, non-modified car and you can predict the cranking time, that would work out pretty well.....what kind of car is it?
If you have an older car, or a car that takes longer to start when it's cold as opposed to when it's warm, that's not going to work reliably.........
Here's another idea:
Install the touch sensor, and the pulse timer.......set the pulse timer to an extra-long setting like 1.5 or 2.0 seconds..........and also wire in a relay so that it can crank the car's starter ONLY when the brake lamps are on.
Instructions for you:
1. Enter car, turn ignition on, step on brake. (Car won't start at all without brake on---more anti-theft protection!)
2. Wave your hand across your special switch.
3. Starter will crank, and you would pull your foot off the brake as soon as the engine starts. If you forget and keep your foot on the brake, the starter will overcrank a little, but no so much it would hurt anything.
Also, this would help to prevent accidentally re-cranking the car after it is already running......you wouldn't want the starter to crank every time that sensor gets tripped.
ANOTHER IDEA:
I don't know how reliable a motion sensor would be, adjusted for close range like that.
But I've seen on Compustar units, they have a "knock sensor" to be installed on the windshield glass.......the idea is that if someone knocks on the glass, it'll page the car's owner (via the two-way remote) to return to the car.
Maybe you could find a used/cheap knock sensor somewhere, and modify it to suit your needs.
eternal1 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
now thats a sweet idea i like that. i have a 2002 mitsu lancer and it is a standard so the only way it would crank is key in the ignition as well as the clutched pressed. but i like the brake idea the only problem with setting the time is its built into the circuit im building so it would be a matter of changing a few components to change the actual runtime. if someone can tell me how i can post the actual schematic of the circiut on here.
eternal1 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
this is the basic design of the circuit. basically you trigger it and get a voltage output equal to the voltage input. in this case 12 volts. an explantion of the circuit can be found at http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm
the one i have built is a monostable. a bit tuned down from theres but works.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic