icon

Sirius starmate hiss on FM

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpss electric 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2006 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
My Starmate replay sat radio causeds a pretty loud "hiss" on the FM channel. It sounds like the old casette tape hiss of yesteryear. If I put my hand on the sat radio, the hiss stops. I've tried switching the FM channels, it's still there. I know there are antenna adapters that insert the output directly into the FM radio antenna line, and there are PIE adapters for my vehicle (2001 Ford F-250 pickup, indash radio w/CD and tape), but sometimes I use a different company truck and like to bring the sat radio with me.  Any ideas?
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2006 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
If that unit has a jack for an external antenna.Get a plug(2.5mm or 3.5 mm) and solder a 5 or 6 inch piece of wire to the tip connection of the plug.Plug it into the Sirius reciver and you should be good to go.
BigDog
cpss electric 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2006 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, that's an idea!  I wonder why the Starmate doesn't have enough RF output for the FM radio to receive? It's mounted about an inch from the side of the FM....Sirius starmate hiss on FM -- posted image.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2006 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
Sometimes they work fine, some vehicles they don't. I've installed a dozen or so this summer and just recently had one that had the hiss. Odd haven't  had a roady xt get the hiss yet, time will tell.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic