icon

subs interference

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwn4cause 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Hi I have a 2006 Honda Pilot which I just finshed installing a line converter, amp and 2 kicker subs.   I dissconnected the factory sub and used that signal and ran it into the line converter basically in seriers so i could run both channels.  Then I used RCA'a to go to the amp which sits in the very back.  So the stock sub is in the very back on the pasanger side from there the speaker wires go to the line converter which is on the drivers side all the way in the back then RCA'a go to the amp which is about 1 foot away.  THe RCA are shileded but are still close to the power wire.  When the car is on the subs make a rubling noise which is pretty loud actually and sometimes is very random.  But with the car off and stero on seems to be fine.  DO you think the interference is with the converter its self or the RCA wires?  Any help would be apperciated.  THanks
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

Post more info, the brand and model#'s of equipment and the LOC. Where was power and ground taken from, same with the remote on trigger?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dwn4cause 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
The amp is a MA audio 4000watt amp and the kicker solo barics 12" the amp is located in a tray in the back of the car.  The power was taken directly from the battery along the driver side and the ground is grounded to the chasis right near the amp.  The trigger is from the cig lighter near the amp in the back.. i hope this helps
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

The speaker wires that run from the OEM sub location back to the LOC are picking up interference.  Either:  relocate the LOC up to where the factory sub is and just use the short wires attached to the LOC, or twist those speaker wires (you have to rip them down the middle first) tightly around each other, + and -.  It's called "twisted cable".

A couple of notes about gain setting with this type of setup:  your head unit will max out at about the halfway point.  Verify this by playing a test tone and listening through the speakers while the amp's gain is set at minimum.  Once you find that clipping point (you'll hear the tone slightly change and sound somewhat static tic tic tic), back it down until it sounds okay and you'll find that it is just about the halfway point on the OEM radio volume.  Set the amp gain to match this level (again, with the test tones).

If that doesn't do it, go to step two:  separating input wires from power wires and verifying ground quality.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
And then to really fine tune it, find someone with an oscilloscope to precision gain set it. That'll completely get rid of the distortion in the signal.
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
dwn4cause 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your help I woill tyr to do that.  I tired last night to move the LOC and RCA wires to the amp, but didn't work .  I also tired just hooking one channel up instead of two to the factory sub location and stll no luck.  I wil try to move the LOC closer to the factory sub and make the RCA 's longer.  I hope this solves the problem it gets very fustrating if that doesn't work i will verify the ground connection but I am sure its a good connection.  Thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Try removing the ground from the HU and from the factory sub amp and connecting these directly to the chassis.  Sounds to me that you have a ground loop going.  Also, MA amps can be very poorly constructed, so you may also want to try directly grounding the case of the amp and maybe even the outer ring of the RCA feeding it.
Support the12volt.com
hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem with an amp of mine right after I wrecked my car. The rca-in on the amp was hit and I think it might have done something to the connectors. There might be a correlation between the two. Same rumbling noise only when car is on. IDK, I'd say directly ground your rcas.
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
dwn4cause 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2006 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, I have tried everything and still no luck.. i moved the line converter closer to the stock sub and the ran rca's to the amp and even grounded the rca's and it still get the loud hum when the car is on and after you give gas when it dies down to 1200 rpms.. Not sure what to do at this point.. the speaker wires the go from the amp to the subs are real close to the power cable chould that be a problem?  I got my input from the factory sub single maybe thats not a good signal? Also the car has this active noise cancelling system which has microphes in the cabin and tires to cancel out road noise.. maybe that could be a problem? Anyone in the LA area that might want to help to let me know..or anyone thats worked on a pilot.. thanks. 
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

dwn4cause wrote:
Hi, I have tried everything and still no luck.. i moved the line converter closer to the stock sub and the ran rca's to the amp and even grounded the rca's and it still get the loud hum when the car is on and after you give gas when it dies down to 1200 rpms.. Not sure what to do at this point.. the speaker wires the go from the amp to the subs are real close to the power cable chould that be a problem?  I got my input from the factory sub single maybe thats not a good signal? Also the car has this active noise cancelling system which has microphes in the cabin and tires to cancel out road noise.. maybe that could be a problem? Anyone in the LA area that might want to help to let me know..or anyone thats worked on a pilot.. thanks. 

Methinks that there is your problem. Re-route the signal cables at least 18" away from the power cable. The Active Noise Cancelling system shouldn't create a negative impact of the setup.

Good Luck!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic